• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

BODY MODS (old skool style)

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4
alright so are you gonna lower it a little to help tuck the wheels and make it easier to unload heavy objects, or will it b just a show truck, and what are your plans for the inside

It's aready lowered 3". Once I figure out what i'm doing for a motor I'll then figure out how much lower I'm going to go.
Not an all out show truck but a nice cruiser that will be only driven on sunny days and to cruise ins.
As for interior, that will have to built from scratch, something like this

only NOT in Seafoam Green.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
holly cow can i send you a truck to build

snoranger

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
It's aready lowered 3". Once I figure out what i'm doing for a motor I'll then figure out how much lower I'm going to go.
Not an all out show truck but a nice cruiser that will be only driven on sunny days and to cruise ins.
As for interior, that will have to built from scratch, something like this

only NOT in Seafoam Green.

Why not? :fart:

FROADER

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I've got my '51 F1 Grille surround fabed up.

I can't wait to see how this looks. The early 50 F1 grill is one of my favorites. I've seen one started in a Ranger, but never finished.

Nice fab work so far!

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I am gonna have to stop by more often
this looks like a ton of work but the results are gonna be awesome

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4

My Brother-in-law just made up my mind for me on that one. He just got finished restoring a '79 Mercury Bobcat Sport and gave me his parts car (same frame as a Mustang II) But it's going to be a 27hr drive to get it so that will have to wait until summer.

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
pick it if by putting it in the new panel truck ;)

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4
any updates on this?

I've finished welding up the roof (no pics 'cause it looks exactly like the last pic I posted of it, just reversed)

Now on to the rear bumper and hatch

jturkey69

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 5.0 AWD
WOW..crazy awesome skills!! this is awesome! I have no clue about body work, but for the past 3 months I have trying to decide how to gain some headroom for a third seat, or making a drop in the floor where the spare tire used to be to create some type of room...threads of major builds like this give hopes to guys like me..lol

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4
I finaly came up with what to do with the hatch. Being that I've decided to go with a major taillight mod and think it looks 'hookie' when someone just builds a box where the OEM tails mount and leave the notch in the hatch, I decided to relocate the latch to the bottom so that I can weld the taillight filler to the hatch.
0042.jpg

Then shaved EVERYTHING else
0012.jpg

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4
Oops Double post

jturkey69

Reaction score
City, State
Sheboygan,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 5.0 AWD
im diggin that...awesome work!

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
I must ask why not go with a tailgate style thing that flips down or opens up like the excursion and opens left and right

flamingX

Reaction score
City, State
Aylmer,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL 2WD & '03 XLT 4x4
I must ask why not go with a tailgate style thing that flips down or opens up like the excursion and opens left and right

Engineering nightmare to pull that off without water leaks everywhere.
My 1st choice was acually full barn doors, but that is even worse.

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
I understand the water nightmare but if u used barn dors off of a delivery van you would have all the weather stripping, with your metal work you would be able to cut and mold the barn doors to fit the explorer opening

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
In my experience barn doors are more noisy, almost impossible to keep from rattling if not from the beginning then definitely when they get a little age on them. And they never seal up as well.

College Student

Reaction score
City, State
Indinapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 EB
I've never worked with them so I'm going off of what seems attainable, but I understand and it would be more body work to get them to fit and look good where as what he has now looks cool and I cant wait to see the final product, I would love to be able to do that kind of work and it come out looking nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
where ya putting the tag ?

(looks awesome by the way )