Body mods -- replacing flares & moulding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body mods -- replacing flares & moulding

bluevolume

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I've got a 2000 XLS, looking to do some body modifications. The one thing I really don't like about it is the moulding and fender flares -- it is the flat, textured finish. I would really like to replace them with the more rounded, polished style ones. I think they started using that style on the 2001 models.

If I can't change those out, is there something I can to do jazz them up? How about a sand & paint job? Anyone have any experience with this?

I've also got some crazy swirl marks staring me down, I'm at the point where I might just go for a complete paint job.

Thanks,
Blue

Try to link up a picture. It's hard to help you out without knowing what we are dealing with. I bet you, a lot more member will be helping you out with pictures. Who knows somebody might be nice enough to photochop your dream truck for you. :)

Blue, mine is also a 2000 and it has the glossy flairs/moulding. I believe the glossy ones were a part of the step-bar package.

You could change them out with a set from a wrecking yard, if you could find a complete undamaged set (that's why they call it a 'wrecking' yard:D ).

You could also easily paint them. You would have to remove them, sand, prime and paint. Using a flex-agent in the paint would keep it from peeling.

I'll bet a body shop would shoot the parts for a reasonable cost, if you removed and sanded them first.

I figured I'd try something quick and dirty, and it came out surprisingly well. I picked up some Mothers Back To Black -- and put it on with a thin sponge. It really brings out the color, and gets rid of the places where it was starting to 'white'.

I thought it might collect tons of dust, because it stays a little wet for a while, but after a couple days it still looks good.

This might get me by for a while, fixing up the trim and a full hand wax have her looking pretty good now.

Blue

Back