Body molding removal ? Hey Monmix... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body molding removal ? Hey Monmix...

Does anyone or particularly those of you who do body work know how to remove the body molding, trim pieces from a 90 fox mustang.

The pic below is what I have as my camera wen tto the San Juans with Shiloh, but I want it all off for painting. If it is black it needs to come off. There appears to be some sort of clip on many pieces but I have no clue how to remove it and I do not want to replace it when Krylon Fusion has worked so well on many other exterior plastics.

The older one shows it in better grey detail :(

201222005-08-07etc_012.jpg

photodisplay.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry
Keeping in mind if I am removing those it is usually to paint the door and replace the moulding. The door, fender behind the wheel and quarter in front of the wheel are held on with two sided tape. I use wide putty knife and a good amount of elbow grease. There is a special tool I also use that goes inside of an air hammer if you have one.
I might be mistaken but I think the mouldings infront of the front wheel are boled on with 11mm nuts. I think the rear is two sided tape as well.

These mouldings have metal strips in them so if you curl them too much they are spent. The car would look better with them off though

belt mouldings

The doors, my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe there is a 11mm nut on the end the then you just pull up firmly but gently bit by bit. I am pretty confidant they are not screwed on. It is MUCH easier with the glass all the way down and the door trim panel removed.

The ones around the convertable top I can not say with any degree of confidance, but I suspect they might be screwed or botled from the rear.

Back