• Register Today It's free!

Body Mount / Body Bushing

JS Green ST

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Track
I'm seeking some help from this very knowledgeable group.

I have a 2003 Sport Track that had a serious squeak in the rear. The squeak appeared after I replaced the entire suspension (upgraded all end link and sway bar bushings to poly, EE rear swaybar, new shocks). After about 3 months it grew very loud and I had a mechanic look at it.

The squeak was caused by a break in sheet metal where the body mount connects to the cab (rear drivers side). The bushing (which looks like new) squeaks as it rubs the sheet metal. Took it to a body shop and for $200 they welded it back - which solved the problem for 3 months.

Reading this very helpful form it seems the body bushings rot on these trucks pretty fast. Since mine only has 70K miles I didn't think it would be an issue. Yesterday I crawled under the truck and looked at the bushings. The bushing under the sheet metal break looks like new, as does the other rear bushing. The bushings in the center look worn, but serviceable. The bushings under the front of the cab look shot - not crumbling to the touch as some forum members report, but they look bad and the bushings have caved over the sleeves (which I'm interpreting as needs to be replaced).

Several questions...

1. Anybody else have any issues with the body mount tearing where it connects to the cab? My truck has a clean accident history (per Carfax), passed my through inspection, and professional mechanics inspection before I bought it - it appears in perfect shape except for the torn sheet metal around the bushing. Truck is 2WD with an open diff, so nobody did any hard core off-roading before I bought it. I'm confused about how this type of damage could even occur.

2. My theory is that the bad bushings in the front cause extra stress on the back mounts. Replacing the factory bushings with poly bushings should stiffen the cab and take pressure off the stress crack in the sheet metal. With the pressure removed I can have the crack re-welded and it will hold for more than 3 months. Does this sound reasonable?

Any other advice? Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is a 2003 so that doesn't' apply, but it's the same thing that happened to me. Do you know where I could find if there was a similar TSB on my 2003? I haven't taken it to a dealer because the truck is 10 years old and figured they would laugh me out of the building - besides my local Ford dealer is pretty lousy.

I looked a the bushings again. While worn, the ones in the front are not completely trashed like some examples in the bushing threads. Nobody has thoughts on how the body mount was pushed through the bottom of the cab?

I just got the Datstar kit and getting ready to do this as well. Anyone know the factory bolt size and lengths? Figured I'd go ahead and grab some before pulling things apart. Thanks.

Any thoughts as to which is better - Daystar or Prothane?

So the truck is at the body shop. Body shop says current bushings have an oval hole with oval metal sleeve. Daystar bushings have a round hole and need a round metal sleeve. Any thoughts on where I can get new sleeves?

I am in the process of doing this job on my 2001 Sport, all 8 mounts were completely gone. I made quick work of getting the old mounts off, all you need is a friend up top with an impact wrench and yourself under the car with a torch and vise grips to keep them from spinning, all of the bolts came right out. Then take a 1/2" drive extension, it fits perfectly in the hole from the top and knock out the bottom sleeves on any that didn't come out. It's not nearly as bad of a job as some people have made it out to be, but it does help to have all of the right tools and an air conditioned shop. I am now just waiting on the daystar bushings to come in so I can put it back together.

Bmatlock, Did your Daystar bushings fit? I couldn't find anything for a 2002 Sport. What did you order? Thanks

Yes the daystar kit fit perfectly, I till have to look and see what the model # was on it.

Im having the same issue, I posted about a groan coming from the rear, my dealer said it was the tires rubbing. I don't believe him.

Im having the same issue, I posted about a groan coming from the rear, my dealer said it was the tires rubbing. I don't believe him.
Eight locations, ten minutes to check. Inspect the center cab mounts carefully, two behind the firewall and two behind the front seat that are made of MCU foam, not rubber. Todd Z, owner of MyST and Zabteck Performance recently compared the popular Daystar KF04015 and newer, but less expensive Prothane 6116. Surprised there were no previous complaints of the Daystar rear mount fitment issues. See links below for results.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1336503&SUB=1336516

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/m...=MSG&VIEW=1337569&LAST=12/15/2013_10:14:08_PM

My installation was done several months ago. Still squeaks really bad. I spent a significant amount of time talking to DayStar and the body shop. Never got a good resolution and still squeaks - left thinking the body shop didn't know what they were doing or maybe the truck was in an accident and there was nothing to be done... But if other are having problems with the DayStar kits maybe they were right.

From the link posted above it appears DayStar is acknowledging the problem - is there a solution for those of us who purchased the old kits and have lived with the squeak?

Has anybody tried some type of grease?

My installation was done several months ago. Still squeaks really bad. I spent a significant amount of time talking to DayStar and the body shop. Never got a good resolution and still squeaks - left thinking the body shop didn't know what they were doing or maybe the truck was in an accident and there was nothing to be done... But if other are having problems with the DayStar kits maybe they were right.

From the link posted above it appears DayStar is acknowledging the problem - is there a solution for those of us who purchased the old kits and have lived with the squeak?

Has anybody tried some type of grease?
Take a look at the BACK bushings... they are WAY larger then the OVAL OEM metal nut and will move around on you, I installed 3 sets and I now make a custom washer to solve the problem. I am talking with Daystar on a permanent repair..
http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1336503&SUB=1336568

Contact Todd Zabbia @ Todd@Mysporttrac.com or www.zabteck.com/‎

Anyone used the custom washer from Todd?

Back