Body Mount Removal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Mount Removal

The exhaust pipe press was not up to the challenge:
IMG_20220913_210438.jpg

So out came my trusty M18 Fuel Sawzall and off came bushing number 5.
IMG_20220913_210440.jpg

Unfortunately, the threaded section of the position 5 lower sleeve is in the part that wasn't cut off (it's still stuck in the upper sleeve). @410Fortune, when you Sawzall through the bushings, do you reassemble with a long bolt through everything and a nut and washer on the bottom to hold it all together?

I also noticed that positions 2 and 4 have these plastic spacers:
IMG_20220913_210436.jpg

I'm assuming those do get reused?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes grade 8 hardware, long bolts through the whole mount, big washers big lock washer
Basically re create what you destroyed only new and stronger coated bolts. Lots of antiseize too

Sounds good!

I may actually go with metric 10.9 bolts because I'm ordering new ones for the front bushings anyways (original ones are pretty necked down in the middle). I get the idea though. Will post pics of the final solution!

Brian1 made a good "how to" on body mount replacement, and I also recently replaced mine in a 1994 Explorer. I made a printable version of Brian1's "how to" and it's in post #2870 of my SAS and Rebuild Thread. There are several more posts dedicated to body mount replacement following that one.

Wow, I wish I'd seen that how-to days ago!

Don't think I would have avoided the position 5 issues, but that writeup answers just about every other question I've had in mind.

here is the link to the body mount thread

Got the body mounts all wrapped up earlier this week. Passenger side was about as tough as the driver's, but went way faster because I knew the strategies to try. All and all, not a terrible job and the cab really feels solid on the frame now.

Back