Camarofan

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
IMAG0130_zpsjysqsnwu.jpg

IMAG0129_zpsan0wcbs2.jpg

I saw a thread from like, 2005 about this, but i never saw a way to correct this, or what causes this. I got the truck like this, and it's bugged me. It's never been wrecked, is it a factory thing? I've seen a couple other ones with the same issue, but i'm not sure if they've been wrecked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you need to replace your body mounts.

Is that something i can do in a weekend in a garage with special tools? Or do i need a lift?

Is that something i can do in a weekend in a garage with special tools? Or do i need a lift?

Yes it can be done but your at least going to need a jack that is big enough to help lift the body up by some means but I presume you obviously do if you have a garage and tools.

It's probably the body mounts.

I had an axle that would move on my XLT.
It could float in and out about 3/16 inch.

[MENTION=27706]Flash[/MENTION]-I thought it was too, before i lowered it, so i took it into class and checked, but everything was tight and to spec, so i took it to a shop and they said it for sure off, but they didn't know why.
[MENTION=116338]ZWilson07[/MENTION]-Is it possible i can loosen the body mount bolts and move the body? I know the right way would be to change the bushings, but i don't have money to spend on all new mounts.

ZWilson07[/MENTION]-Is it possible i can loosen the body mount bolts and move the body? I know the right way would be to change the bushings, but i don't have money to spend on all new mounts.

Honestly it is just going to depend on why the body is moved.

Could be that maybe the bolt/bolts are just loose or someone loosened one up for one reason or another. If so than yes possibly.

If a mount is actually rusting out then obviously no.

More than likely it is because your bushings are starting to go out so in that case the only real option is to replace the bushing but again it is just going to depend on what is specifically causing it.

They looked fine when i checked them a few months back, now i only looked at the 4 under the doors, not the 4 under the bumpers.

I remember reading something about being Ford fault, or whatever. I wanted it fixed, mainly to know exactly how much room i have

They looked fine when i checked them a few months back, now i only looked at the 4 under the doors, not the 4 under the bumpers.

I remember reading something about being Ford fault, or whatever. I wanted it fixed, mainly to know exactly how much room i have

I'd go around and check every single one and make sure the bolts are all tight. Unfortunately sometimes the bushings want to try and spin when doing this as well.

Also unfortunately sometimes the bushings are bad but you can't really tell from the outside and with the weight of the body on them.

Alright, i'll have to dig up the thread with the info. Thanks for the help! Once i have time, and new bolts i'll go ahead and try to center it.

Alright, i'll have to dig up the thread with the info. Thanks for the help! Once i have time, and new bolts i'll go ahead and try to center it.

Sounds good, let us know how it goes.

Who knows you might get in there and it ends up being an easy fix and your body mounts are still in good shape.

I will, it'll probably be awhile, next month at least. And i'm hoping so, i haven't had to put much into the truck since it's not even at 140k, so i'm hoping everything is fine, and i just have to move the body.

Back