body or suspension lift???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

body or suspension lift????

EDDIE92'

Reaction score
I have been looking for a lift for a while to be able to fit 33x12.50s. I have been told that the smallest lift I could get would prob. be the 3" body lift. How do you guys feel about the body lift? Should I go with a suspension lift? Please include a ballpark price on either the body lift or the suspension lift.

Thanks

------------------
Tyler Allen
92' Eddie Bauer
V6 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tyler, I havn't heard good things about trying more than 2" body lift. Also, when on the trails I learned that I needed clearance. So I opted for a 5.5" superlift. My price is about $1500.00 out the door, with a dropped pitman arm,steel brake lines and RS9000 shocks. Good luck on your choice. maybe you can come up and trail with us sometime?

------------------
Rob Robertson
"It's an Explorer Thing, you wouldn't understand"

Tyler,
Here in Louisiana we prefer body lifts. Mainly b/c all we have is mud, there are absoloutly no rocks to crawl. Except for the ocassional car crush, HA! If you are going to be crawling go for the suspension lift. If you just want to be high in the sky do a 3 on the body and another 3 on the suspension.

Clayton

Tyler,

First off, you can't fit 33" tires under a 3" lift. I would suggest a 5.5" superlift. I don't like body lifts; however I you have decided on getting one, I would go with a 2.5 " James Duff suspension lift with a 2" bodylift.

I don't like body lifts because the raise the center of mass of the car and make it unstable at high speeds.

The price for a 2" body lift for a F150 is about $100. I am not sure about an explorers

What ever you decide, I hope you enjoy it!

------------------
1992 XLT, 4x4, 4.0L EFI

Eddie; I rode with a 2"B/L and 33x9.5 tires for four years--it was a great set up. I later moved up to a 5.5 suspention lift and it got real expensive. By the time I got the truck to handling well I had invested over $3,000 in parts and tires (not including the gears that I had already installed). So, if you are on a budget and want decent handling, stick with a B/L and keep it simple.

The body lift does not raise the center of gravity near as much as the Suspension lift! Think about it. W/ the body lift you are just raising the weight of the body. W/ the susp. you are lifting the body, the engine the tranny, the t-case, the frame, the gas tank.

That said, the body lift will get you by till you get the dough for the big lift.

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Back