• Register Today It's free!

body removal

nathan mayden

Reaction score
City, State
springdale, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sport
Does anyone have a guide for removing the body on these things? I plan on doing engine and transmission work and body mounts. I work at a shop that has 10 ton overhead hoists but no lifts and would rather not do all that work on my back.. Thanks.

There are 10 body mounts. They can be hard to remove if rusted. Most of the bolts are accessed from under the carpet, which requires removing the seats. Then you've got the steering, the fuel and brake lines to deal with, plus the fuel filler and vent hoses and disconnecting all the wiring and body grounds. Sounds like a lot of work to me. I think I'd rather lay on my back.

Are you sure you really want to invest this much time, energy and money into a '99 Sport 2WD (I assume it's a SOHC)? Sounds like a losing proposition. When all is said and done you've got a $1200-$1500 vehicle at best.

It's kind of a project for me at this time. Would like to use it for a daily drive, I paid 500 bucks for it and drove it home, some fluids getting nasty so i changed them and the sensor in the rear diff was out but that's all fixed.

It is the sohc 4.0 but I don't believe it is the original engine, there are way too many stickers and stuff still on the block and valve covers.

Back