• Register Today It's free!

Body Roll

bdraughon

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V8 4WD
hey there, realativly new here with a pretty much stock 03 xlt v8 and just had a question.

do they make a sway bar or something to help with body roll for our explorers, when i look around on the net there are very few upgrades for these trucks it feels like to me.

just inquiring, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im not sure if there is just something wrong with yours or there is something different about mine but my explorer has very minimal body roll. After driving a grand cherokee its a big difference.

Eibach Sway bars and a ground force lowering kit (2 inch drop front rear) and you could probably kiss body roll good bye, if you cared enough to do it. After i get back from basic im doing my suspension work before i drive my truck down the ALCAN. Im with Macnos, ive had this thing SIDEWAYS going down the road on snow, ice, and pavement. Dont be to concerned, AWIS makes for great handling abilitys.

this is my first explorer and first SUV so maybe its just me ive had this truck bout 3 yrs but i never drove it until as of late. was in iraq for one year of owning it and had a bike when i got back, and rode it to work and school.

it doesnt seem too bad, i get it pretty quick in the corners and dont worry about it flipping or anything, just a lot more than i am used to. didnt know if there was something to cut down on it. my previous truck was an 07 f150.

and lowering is out of the question :) not for me. even though i live in FL we still got some need for ground clearance where i go.

thanks for the replies

if anyone does happen to run across something to stiffin it up let me know!

yes, absolutely! check ebay for a set of them, best price i have found so far. lol i live in alaska and my friend has his dropped 2 inches and it still goes everywhere mine does, its kinda sad lol.

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!! I actually have my front sway bar out and it now has some body roll and smoother ride(I drag race:D) but the weather is getting worse here so that driveshaft and swaybar are going back in. Like Mack and Zero said, you can take some corners at decent speeds if your careful.

To answer your question, yes you can use the sway bar without lowering it. If for some reason the sway bar comes with shorter end links, just reuse the stockers;)

Wow, no ****, never knew they made em!

I threw mud terrains on my truck, and it stopped my truck from rolling into corners ALOT.
But now that the tires are getting alittle mileage on 'em, I really have to turn hard, cause the outer sides are getting more worn than the insides.

I'd assume you could weld some bars to attach the frames, but I don't know if the chassis even flex that much on our trucks?

I'm also blown away by how well our vehicles handle, especially the AWD's.
Those things just suck right thru corners like it's nothing.

I can't imagine it with a 2 inch drop and some sways, and some nice wide street tires.

SUV's take a lot of blame for being "unstable" or "tipsy".
However, i've NEVER even come close to tipping my SUV, and I live around some very curvy and dangerous roads.

I threw mud terrains on my truck, and it stopped my truck from rolling into corners ALOT.

you know what, before i went to iraq i had firestone destination MT's on there. they were a E load rating. for some reason my FIL took them off while i was away. and i remember it having A LOT LESS roll then. hmmm...

he swapped them with a set of crappy highway terrains that make my truck look like a puss. said it messed up the front wheel bearings b/c the tires were to heavy. any truth to this? b/c i looked online and the wheel bearings seemed to go even with stock tires on non 4 wheel drive models....?

maybe ill have to upgrade mud terrains or a higher load rated all terrain when its time for the next set of tires.

^If your just looking for regular all around tires, Michelin Cross Terrains are amazing. Thats what I run mine on and I have never once lost traction and they handle the curves amazing. The only time I ever slid was when the back right tire was bald and in the rain I would slide on left turns but only if they were a hard quick turn.

The Gen III drives amazing well for what it is. Sure its no car but it handles much better then most other suvs I have been in. Just jump in a jeep or a gen II and see the difference.

Back