Bogging and Bugging me. What is wrong with it ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bogging and Bugging me. What is wrong with it ?

JR3737

Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hey Im new to the forum.

I just recently traded for a 1997 Explorer XLT 5.0L woth 130k miles.

In the mornings when Im off to work, and the engine hasn't fully warmed up, the Explorer bogs and loses power for a second and then catches on. Once its warm it runs fine, EXCEPT when I make a left turn? Weird. I cleaned the IAC tonight and Im waiting to see if that fixes the bogging. I also put a new fuel filter in it. A new camshaft synchro and sensor, oxygen sensor, battery, temrinals, oil and oil filter, air filter, alternator, egr valve, egr soleniod and egr position sensor. Oh yeah and a leaking vss on the trans.

Anyway, Truck runs fine and it idles good, its just for a second that it will lose power if I push on the gas pedal...
Any Ideas? Thanks guys. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the throttle position sensor. IAC should not affect the bogging, but the TPS will. Not saying that is the problem, but is first place I would look. You do have a VOM? Check for smooth increase from idle to WOT, no jumping of the reading. Something I have done is, take a set of leads and install alligator clips instead of probes, get a safety pin to probe the wires. Life is much easier.

I use to have the same problem with mine. Can't guarantee that its the same problem, but I had to replace my alternator to make the problem go away. The alternator will show that it is charging fine and will handle a load but for some reason the day I changed my alternator my stumbling, bogging, stutter, whatever you want to call it, went away. I went through a local shop and had them build me a 200amp alternator though too. They told me they have seen problems like this before where a diode(or something like that) inside the alternator will fail and will allow some AC current into the electrical system allowing to mess with random sensors. The guy there was like 80yrs old and knew his stuff. He told me that vehicles have DC systems and do not like the AC current.

Have your alternator tested by a reputible shop, not advanced auto or pepboys or any of the other "quick fix" places. All they can test is system voltage and load the battery. You will need to find a shop that can load the alternator while its running to see if the problem is the alternator.

I was leaning towards the TPS being faulty. I havent checked it yet but will do so tomorrow. I replaced the alternator not too long ago, before rewlizing I had a crushed synchronizer instead. =D ....maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago? So I dont think thats my issue. Ill definately check the TPS, luckily I work at oreillys and get my parts cheap. Now if I was only more mechanically inclined. Thanks again guys, Your help is really appreciated.

Did the vehicle sit for an extended period of time?

Any update on the problems?

Back