01STrunner

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
So I opened my hood today to silence the squealing p/s pulley once again. While under there I noticed a bolt missing from the engine block. I know it needs to be replaced but I was wondering if it's grade 8 or not and what the dimensions of it are, or if its the same as the one next to it I can just take that one into the store and get the same thing then. Also, just out of curiosity what is its purpose?

C843-4AF6-B6E6-88A0E32C3378-18760-000012BD283BFDFA.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like nothing goes there to be honest, could be a hole put there for optional parts or something that goes there on a different vehicle (explorer, ranger)
The threads look dirty and I don't see any wear marks. Nor do I see anything missing.
When you get a chance, look at someone else's Sport Trac, until then I wouldn't worry about it

Also, don't worry about what grade it is. "grade 8" gets throw around as if it's some kinda magic. Half the bolts on your truck could be replaced with aluminum, lathe cut threads and be fine. Of course I won't be trying that on my truck, dirt bike is a different story though

Yeah but this is an engine thing. High heat and vibration. Also the threads are pretty clean. Definitely recently gone

that hole is just there, may be for other options, but if something was bolted there there would be a mark from the head/bracket

I'll solve the mystery guys, yes something does go there, is it an issue? No. It's just where a guard bolts on that goes above the fan belt, my truck has one there, it shares the bolt with the reservoir and that hole to hold it down.

Welp looks like I'll not worry about it

explorer-aus is austrailian too so his trac maybe setup differently then ours. i can confirm that mine does not have any bolt in that hole since day one of my owning it.

I wonder why it's suddenly gone now though. :scratch: There was obviously a bot there not too long ago because the threads are still shiny and clean.

Damn gnomes.

Lol I'll go with that

HAHA if it makes you feel any better, I checked and the gnomes got mine as well. Threads are nice and shiney too, so I'm guessing it's just something we missed out on in the assembly line.

2002xwx.jpg

I guess those gnomes were just all over the factory. Lol

LOL yup. Gnominus Boltus. Subspecies of gnominus sockus. *******s are always getting one of my socks in the dryer..

Back