Bolt on SAS kit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bolt on SAS kit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it is not a crack. It's where the frame mount meets with the engine x-member mount. You can't see 3D in the picture and it shows up as a "crack".

I'll put up a different pic to try to illustrate.

The circled part is what is showing up as a "crack" when looked at from the side. The two "halves" of the mount overlap where welded. I guess I shoulda washed it before I took the pictures and maybe it wouldn't shown up that way.

Tracbar.jpg

Any time frame on when this kit will come out?

And how in the heck did you get so lucky to get the prototype? Will they need another test truck?

Hey looks good to bad i got rid of my first gen. So any plans to do a 2nd gen kit. Just wondering. Thanks.

I have no idea when the kit may come out. Really the only things being tested are the track-bar bracket and the shock hoops. Everything else you can already buy from JD. With the extra width of the axle and the EB radius arm, the shocks had to be moved out about 3" at the top and also raised up to allow the longer shocks. The TB bracket has to be beefy enough not to flex under load and they also wanted to move away from the steering box area for mounting. I like the bracket but I'm still kinda iffy on the shock hoops.

Edited to add:

You never know when they might need someone. I kinda happened upon it myself. I know they had been looking for a x-cab 93-97 ranger to try some stuff on.

Are those axles you are running full width?

EDIT: Nevermind

My question is since i have a second gen, when i cut all the ifs stuff of are the 1st and 2nd en frames the same up front. It might be a dumb question but i have no idea.

My question is since i have a second gen, when i cut all the ifs stuff of are the 1st and 2nd en frames the same up front. It might be a dumb question but i have no idea.

93 is a first gen......

The only status change is that my Ex went back to JD and had the track bar mount pulled off. After checking it over, a jig was built off it so that a future production run could be made.
I have no time frame on when the "kit" will come out. All I know is all the pieces are there except for the shock hoops. You can purchase everything but the track bar mount and the hoops now and if you talked to them they may put you on the list to get one of the first track bar mounts. You'd be all ready to go except for shocks.

Yea, would this work for a 2nd Gen? Also, a little off topic, but is swapping the 1st gen recip ball steering box in place of the 2nd gen rack & pinion a simple bolt on (i.e. are the bolt holes in the frame already)?

DUDER, I think what RedRanger was getting at, is that you asked "since I have a 2nd Gen" but your profile says you have a '93 - I'm assuming your profile is outdated.

Are those HD coil buckets a JD product? If so what is the part number, I couldn't find them in the catalog. Also are you still using the adjustable EB track bar with the new mount?

The coil buckets are part # 5261. The lower retainers are part # 5120.

My track bar is a piece of 1.5" .120 wall dom with bungs welded in and 3/4" heims.
Track bar mount is close to production. If you want one, call up and get on the list.

Cool, thanks dude I've been planning to change my Dana 30 and leaf spring setup in my X to a Dana 44 and coils when I get back from Iraq. Its going to be alot easier now with the information from this thread. Good job dude.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will this be sold as a whole kit? or part by part?

Back