Bolt on SAS kit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bolt on SAS kit

any updated info on this? and info on a 2nd gen kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can buy all the pieces to do it seperately now except for the shock hoops/mounts. There the only thing not avaliable yet.

Im running this same stuff on mine and its WELL worth the money. Easy to put on and works very good.

Any other questions just ask me or call James Duff directly and ask for my buddy Brad. He can tell you anything you need to know and get you all the parts you need.

So i have a 1978 F-150 dana 44 is that the same as the 1979 and will that work with this kit. Thank you.

You can buy all the pieces to do it seperately now except for the shock hoops/mounts.

Why are the shock hoops still up in the air? I'm thinking for mine I would like to simply bend some DOM tubing into a hoop and bring it up into the wheel well far enough to attach a removable crossmember across the top of the engine. With your experience with the rest of this setup, would that seem like it would work well with the rest of the "kit"?

There trying to come up with something for the shocks that is easier to mass produce. They have been real busy lately and havent had a whole lot of time to come up with the final design.

The way your talking about would work fine but would be a little overkill. Wouldnt need the bar connecting them going over the motor. People that do that normally have coil overs which put all the wright on them. For just shocks it wouldnt be needed.

I pictured that hoop I was talking about also supporting the spring. I looked at your pictures again and it looks like there are two separate brackets, one for shock and one for spring, right? So are you saying that the bracket for the spring is a "go" for the kit, but the shock mounting bracket only is the one that is in question?

If I were to raise it up into a hoop like I was talking about, would I gain any articulation, or is it pretty much maxed out the way you have it?

If I were to raise it up into a hoop like I was talking about, would I gain any articulation, or is it pretty much maxed out the way you have it?
His springs probably max out before the shocks do. I know my springs max out before the shocks do in both directions. I have f250 shock towers which would be an excellent choice if duff isn't producing any of their own yet. You can buy them at the ford dealership. I got mine online somewhere.
100_2354.jpg

If you do the solid axle swap, I would worry about shocks last (they are probably your easiest part of the swap). Then you can measure and place your mounts where ever they are needed.

Edit--> I just reread what you were asking. If you were talking about moving the coil buckets up more into a shock hoop, you would basically lower your ride height. I can't see any gain on flex with the same coil spring... unless your radius arms weren't at the right angles before you moved them up.

I am ok with a little bit lower ride height. I am picturing something like the Jeep Lower Forty.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/09april/jeep_lower40-4.jpg

I want to move the front axle forward and the rear axle back, with minimal lift, maximum articulation. Just using the 40 inch tires, I would gain 6" of ground clearance over stock, I have a 3" body lift (which I might drop a little), so I don't need to get too aggressive with the lift aspect of my SAS. I will lift a little bit, but I don't want to go extremely high for rockcrawling.

Would this "kit" still be a good avenue for that type of lift or am I changing too much so I should just start from the ground up?

You'd probably be better to start from the ground up for what you want to do. (that's my opinion) Especially because you will want 1 ton axles as the 1/2 ton axles this kit is for isn't really reliable past 37" tires. (off road wise)

I'm not dead set on 40 inch tires. I could go with 37s or so, I just need something bigger than the 31s I have now. :)

My point is, will I mess stuff up if I make this one modification? Will it mess up some important angles or anything?

I am looking at this "kit" because it would take away a lot of the fab work, which I would like since I build houses, not trucks. I can tinker, but not fab. So I would enjoy being able to bolt up most of the parts, and just getting a few things welded in by the pros.

Biggest issue is the engine k member. Mine is trimmed and I have only 5-6"s lift over stock. I do want to build a new one though for more room. You also have some other stuff under there that would need to taken into account for driveshaft clearance.

what degree of c-bushings did you use for this swap?

This sounds awesome. It takes me away from wanting to save up 5k for a Dixons IFS kit and see about this. I only want to be able to run in deep snow in MA. I don't crawl, at most i want to get to hard to reach places and camp or have fun.
Seeing that this started in 2010, i get the feeling we wont see a complete solution? A lot of threads I'm like "YES!!!" when i read, end up ending before everything is solved, or completed.

Just got all my parts for this swap, they are alot beefier than they look in the pics. Cant wait to get it done so I can start thrashing on it.

Sorry I have missed out on a lot of the questions, evidently I didn't sign up to get alerts for this thread.
These parts have been for sale for quite a while. Many Rangers, B2s, and Explorers are rolling around with the SAS thanks to JD. It's not sold in a "kit" but you can buy everything needed. Many people want to use stock radius arms or a different spring or universal buckets, etc. It's best to just call JD and tell them what you want and ask questions.

Brad.

Ok awesome thanks. I get auto signed up to every thread i post in, lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is this kit available, I am almost done with my swap but can't figure out how to mount the waggy steering box

Back