• Register Today It's free!

Bolt stuck - Axel arm - Heat??

ThrottleCrazy

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 2wd 4speed Explorer;)
Busted the driver's side axel arm on my 2wd. Gutted every piece of suspension on that side to get to it now the broken bit is hostage of the pivot bracket by way of one nasty bolt - Im about to remove the dang bracket and cut/machine/see if i can apply proper leverage to bust the f'er loose. I was gentle with heat the fisrt time as Hayne's warns of removing the temper. I think I just need to go at it harder but I felt Id ask around fisrt so once I get 'er rollin again I dont wind up with a broken bracket and involved in this process all over again...
Cant fit the impact or the breaker bar on it. Just me and an adjustable wrench on a rusty 'ol size 18 nut...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bolt for the axle pivot? Should be able to get a socket and breaker bar in there, an adjustable wrench won't give enough leverage. You might even need a cheater bar on a breaker bar to crack it loose, they are on there super tight.

Hold the nut with the adjustable wrench until it turns and hits the frame or something solid, then just gently apply torque with the breaker bar. It might take awhile, especially if this is the first time it's being busted loose, but should be doable with enough leverage.

I'd also suggest using some penetrating fluid like PB blaster on your troublesome nuts and bolts. Waiting overnight and reapplying seems to work best.

Applying some heat can also help with the really stubborn ones.

Just came back in from sitting under it for 40+ mins. PB Blaster was my first assault. The problem with the breaker bar is working on the ground with a limited range of motion. I heated that puppy till the bushing caught fire and then some, fruitlessly. I am going to do as both of you suggested, and take the passenger side wheel off and see if I can work at it better from there. Im just about to get a nut splitter or an acetylene torch. This is wearing me down....

sawzall the darn thing off and get it over with, you already spent enough time to cover the cost of a new bolt

some things you just do the easy way and move on,,you don't have to do things the hard way, they make new parts every day,

Got it guys. Thanks to a family friend and some pretty candy tools, we availed. Sprinkled a bit more PB Blaster on it and whacked it with the hammer a handful of times before going under it this time and he brought out his big box wrenches, 4 ft pry bar, and a nice long swivel head wratchet. Oh, and its above freezing today - had been about -15* last few days I've been at it. Got it spin'n with the wratchet and used the box wrench on the back with the pry bar seated on the passenger axel as a stop for the wrench.... Very frustrating... I feel as though there should have been some way to get it done myself with the basics. But, progress has been made and I can finnish the job! Thanks for your input everyone.

Back