Boom, then oil gauge went nuts... won't run | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boom, then oil gauge went nuts... won't run

Peacock

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0
Girlfriend was driving to work, something went boom (not a big boom... her description) and the oil gauge went nuts. No oil leaked out as far as I can see. Car also had the timing chain defect, sounded like a motherf'ing powerstroke diesel. Did my chain snap? If so, am I fornicated? Could it be something else?

If I were to replace the engine, what year(s) should I target for explorers and rangers. I have the "E" engine, as its a 4x4. I'm also a broke ass mothafudger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

guess it has a 4.0 sohc? if the tensioners went out and it sound like that you are in bad shape but if its a 4.0 ohv maybe not as bad...

It's defintely the SOHC.

The question remains: What engines should I target? Also, is my engine f*****? I don't remember the difference between interference/non-interference and whether this engine is one, but if the chain snapped, do I have bent valves or other irreperable damage? Is my best course of action to try to get a new engine? If so, what engine should I go for? I'm a broke law student, so that's the primary factor, though I am wary of getting another 90s SOHC engine with the same defect. Was it '01 when they were fixed on exploders? What about Rangers? I've searched and got differing info.

Finally... does anyone know anyone in Southern Virginia (Lexington/Roanoke area) that can fix this for cheap (I know... no chance of this question being answered, but its worth a shot.)

Any SOHC engine from a 4x4 Explorer, Ranger or Mountaineer will fit, but you'll need to use all of your ancillaries, incliding motor mounts. From 2001 the engines had the upgraded tensioners and guides.

Duncan

The question remains: What engines should I target? Also, is my engine f*****? I don't remember the difference between interference/non-interference and whether this engine is one, but if the chain snapped, do I have bent valves or other irreperable damage? Is my best course of action to try to get a new engine? If so, what engine should I go for? I'm a broke law student, so that's the primary factor, though I am wary of getting another 90s SOHC engine with the same defect. Was it '01 when they were fixed on exploders? What about Rangers? I've searched and got differing info.

Finally... does anyone know anyone in Southern Virginia (Lexington/Roanoke area) that can fix this for cheap (I know... no chance of this question being answered, but its worth a shot.)

If I remember correctly, The SOHC is a interference Engine therefore the possiblity of the valves smaking the piston is very high. The way you described, "Running Like a Powerstroke" I have strong suspension that you indeed smack the piston and therefore your heads and Pistons are destroyed and are in need of rebuilding the Engine.

Sorry to inform you of the bad news and good luck in finding a new engine.

Many have stated the fact that the pistons punched the valves. I can assure you if that's true you are looking at a new chain (obviously) new cam shaft, new valves and springs. Call your local mech shop (not a stealership) and find out the cost to rebuild the heads. Of course you can ask them at the same time about them installing the new head (new gasket's) and new timing chain. The timing chain needs to be done precisely. If done wrong and the engine is turned over you can have the same issue again.

You could buy a new engine but when it comes to buying used, to quote Forrest Gump "You never know what your gonna get"!
I would price shop, even talk with friends of friends, friends of family. Anyone you can think of.

Sorry about your bad luck.

So... after the car has sat for 6 months while I was out of state, I'm back to trying to get it running. I found a possible replacement engine that runs perfect. However, it's a 97, so I'm guessing it probably at least needs the oil check valve installed/tensioneers replaced. Since the engine is out, now's the best time to do it. What parts do I need for preventive maintenance (i.e., I don't want it to start rattling a few months down the road, but I don't have the money to buy the full $400 chain kit, tools, and pay the mechanic to swap everything)? Do you need special tools to install the ford TSB kit I heard about before (the one with tensioneer, check valve, and intake gaskets?)

You would need to budget it all out. New engine (being new to you) vs fixing the old. I would personally go with the new one. Make sure to flush fluids and check everything out and possibly get a friends help. Then keep the old engine and rebuild it as finances permit. At least that way if this ever happens again or you get a new ex you can have 2!

Back