boostin a 5.0 need some help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

boostin a 5.0 need some help

ok so ive owned my explorer for 2 months and after workin out some minor stuff Im ready to start the STS turbo project. I have a few parts left over from my old cars SRT-4 and Evolution so I have a start just need some more info if anyone can help..
OK I have
- T3/t04e 50 trim .63 ar internally gated(Im not sure if i can stick with the internal or not opions please)
-SS oil feed line
-MBC
-Front mount intercooler that im tryin to test fit up
-Diverter Valve(no BOV:thumbsup: )
-Cone filter
-Boost Gauge/wideband
I know Im gonna need charge pipes couplers etc... And from what ive read an STS oil pump for the turbo drain.
Besides Fittings,flanges and exhaust work anything else?
Im not tryin to get a list to be completly done just one to get some power into the truck(like 4-6 psi) for now.

Now to the ?'s
-@how much boost can a 5.0 motor take?(i know every motor is different but just a guestimate)
-Intercooler worth doin or at such low boost levels should i even bother?
-Can i run the truck on low boost with no tuning w/o blowing it up? I do have a wideband and will be monitoring the AFR closely
-On 6 psi with a few more supporting mods any guesstimates of track and HP/TQ #'s

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read this i appreciate it very much:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rob just stated that the 99+ pumps are almost all constant voltage pumps.

"...All Explorers up to 2005 (I don't know how the 2006+ are) use a return style fuel pump in mechanical returnless configuration that has constant voltage (non-variable)..."

The Ford GT pump is not the same, as in different from the 98 or 99 Mustang pump, etc. I didn't know those details, and I thank you for that Rob. Regards,

True. If you would like to know what vehicles have what I can look in my tuning for the correct information. As to what has what. I believe that when the ex got the 3 valve it went to a true returnless. The only exception being the Aviator-j

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sir,This is a incorrect statement. I have covered this several times on these forums. You will get slower starting with a returnless pump because of the lack of a check integrated into the pump. The 1998 and 1999 Mustangs do not carry the same pump. I really feel that this supercar pump has been an excellent thing to be available for the returnless guys but the line has been smeared and people think these will live in the return style environment. The life is shortened with these pumps in a returns style setup.

Do not use a Supercar pump in a return style setup!!!! When you are spending as much as you will be on turbo,injectors,MAF,etc what is another $50 on the pump. This is essentially the heart of the fuel system. Go with a Holley 255lph. E-mail if you need to know the part# for the fuel pump. I have personally used this pump for alot of miles. I also use them for my customers because of the reliability!

Hey James that Holley 255lph Forced Induction pump we talked about is the Walbro GSS340. They are the same pump. ;)

For everyone else just to make sure I don't confuse anyone, when I mention Walbro GSS340 I am also talking about the Holley FI pump because they are both based off of the GSS340 pump model.

While the GSS340 is a great pump (hell I use two of them in KBX) I believe that the Walbro GSS342 will be slightly more drop-in and should still support what power level most of the people are wanting to make with a s/c, nitrous, or turbo in here. I haven't messed with the stocker fuel pump hat assembly's for a while but do they have that cradle that cups the bottom of the fuel pump still? If so then that is what will need to be modified (with a dremel tool) to fit the MUCH larger intake nipple of the GSS340.

True. If you would like to know what vehicles have what I can look in my tuning for the correct information. As to what has what. I believe that when the ex got the 3 valve it went to a true returnless. The only exception being the Aviator-j

Bingo.

I can admit that I was wrong :) I was given some bad advice by a pretty reputable tuner(VMP). Also, my Ford parts DVD does list the 98 and 99 sharing the same fuel pump assembly. I know for a fact that the baskets are the same, but there could be some difference in the pump itself, or the 98 could have a check valve somewhere. Like I said, I have been wrong before.

I actually have a GSS342 in my shop left over from my Bravada, so I'll use it instead.

307 with 340 pickup on left (which I use) It is the same as holley, and now the BBK 255lph pump. I got this directly from Walbro engineer.

341 in middle
342 on right

attachment.php

I can admit that I was wrong :) I was given some bad advice by a pretty reputable tuner(VMP). Also, my Ford parts DVD does list the 98 and 99 sharing the same fuel pump assembly. I know for a fact that the baskets are the same, but there could be some difference in the pump itself, or the 98 could have a check valve somewhere. Like I said, I have been wrong before.

I actually have a GSS342 in my shop left over from my Bravada, so I'll use it instead.

Keep in mind that when swapping to that GSS342 that the pump body diameter itself is a little bigger than the body of the Ford GT pump. I had to dremel a little material out of my custom pump hat when I fitted the dual 340's in there. Whether you are running a custom hat or a stocker one I do not foresee much issue with making enough clearance to drop the other pump in.

Also, Expressfuelpumps.com sells the GSS342 with Explorer specific install kit for $99 shipped.

The '98 Mustang disagrees with your statement- it uses the same pump as the '99 Mustang(returnless), but in a return configuration. It is my understanding that returnless pumps are ok for return systems, but not the other way around. VMP Tuning recommends the Aviator(returnless) pump for return systems, so I dont see a problem using the GT pump.

94-98 mustang have return style fuel systems. 99-up are non return style. The return style is by far the best way and easyest way to make power and avoid fueling problems. 94-95 stangs are slightly different on the tank design but I think they use the same pumps. Even if they dont the pumps are so similar it is easy to adapt them to just about any return style set-up.

Back