• Register Today It's free!

bored and stroked 4.0L V6

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
has anyone here ever bored a 4.0L and/or made it a stroker?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think there are any stroker kits.

Maybe one for a sohc can be used? :dunno:

You can always get the crank off set gound for a stroke increase.

The 4.3L stroker kit from Tom is the only way to add enough displacement to make a power difference. Any motor that is rebuilt will be bored. This is to create a new finish on the cylinder walls such that the piston rings can be bed in, not to create more power. Some motors have enough room between the cylinder walls to do a substantial bore and add quite a bit of power. But not our motor. Our block was originally a 2.4 L (or something tiny like that). Then engineers at ford overbored it to a 3.0 L and used it for a while. Then overbored it again to make our 4.0 L. So the block is already almost completely maxed out with very little room between the cylinder walls for a significant overbore.

The 4.3L stroker kit from Tom is the only way to add enough displacement to make a power difference. Any motor that is rebuilt will be bored. This is to create a new finish on the cylinder walls such that the piston rings can be bed in, not to create more power. Some motors have enough room between the cylinder walls to do a substantial bore and add quite a bit of power. But not our motor. Our block was originally a 2.4 L (or something tiny like that). Then engineers at ford overbored it to a 3.0 L and used it for a while. Then overbored it again to make our 4.0 L. So the block is already almost completely maxed out with very little room between the cylinder walls for a significant overbore.

I think it started as a 2.8L, then 2.9L, 3.0L, and finally the 4.0L.

The Morano 4.3L kit is the only stroker kit I have seen. Pricey too from what I remember.

Eeehheeeem

5.0L? :rolleyes:

he is saying why waste the time and money boring and stoking it.When you can get a wrecked 97 moutaineer with a 5.0 for under a grand.

all I'm sayin is this.

The 4.0 liter OHV engine is an excelent machine. Mine still purrs(and clicks and taps) along at 150,000 miles. But If your not going forced induction there isn't much you can do with it.

There are no aftermarket intakes. No rockin alluminum heads. No radical drag cams.

The 5.0 swap is alittle expensive. But it's not knocking over Berlin wall. It is acheivable by some one with moderate mechanical knowledge.

It opens the door for much better performance parts. Much better transmissions.
And much more "oh yeah, that's a nice Honda you got there. Oh, its got an nice intake you say? That's nice, But check THIS **** out!" possibilities.

Now if you just the kinds guy who wants to go against the croud. Then do your stroker I say! And have some damn good fun with it.

Or go turbo. Or m90. Whatever you please. It's your car not mine and I wish you well with it.

I agree with the whole trying to go NA route. building a good torque monster of a 4.0 is possible but costs alot. If you want more power i would really recomend forced induction since the factory internals are strong to begin with

I think it started as a 2.8L, then 2.9L, 3.0L, and finally the 4.0L.

The Morano 4.3L kit is the only stroker kit I have seen. Pricey too from what I remember.

ew, the vulcan 3.0 is thankfully not part of the cologne v6 family. now if it was the SHO 3.0 thatd be a different story, but the 3.0 in rangers and aerostars is, well, blah.

Suggestions?

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer EB with the OHV 4.0L engine. It has quite a few miles on it already, but I don't really want to give up on it. It runs well, but I would like to see it through 250,000 miles, if possible. I am considering a few options: rebuilding the engine, swapping the engine with a newer vehicle, swapping it for a newer SOHC or just buying a completely different Explorer. What would you say is best if I am looking to spend about $3500? Am I better off just buying another Explorer with a newer engine? This OHV has been really reliable and the body has only a little rust. Are there any performance gains by having it rebuilt, bored out and stroked? Would new cams, performance headers, intake and exhaust make a marked improvement on performance? I have limited mechanical ability, so I'm asking someone who knows more about this kind of thing than I do. If I should by a new vehicle, should I look for one with a V8 or the SOHC V6? Is the third generation Explorer worth looking into? I appreciate any input, constructive or otherwise. Thanks!

If all you want is 250k, keep up on maintenance and it will take you there and beyond on that stock motor. Unless you are just dead set on upgrading of course, there are tons of OHV 4.0L's with well over 300k on them, most people get at least 250k out of them easily.

On a budget forced induction will net you the most power increase per dollar spent. Building NA horsepower with a 4.0 ohv costs alot of money and the gain usually can be had for cheaper with forced induction. The 4.0 ohv is a strong motor. Add some boost and tune it and have fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back