Boring day= new HID flashlight :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boring day= new HID flashlight :)

I was really bored today, so I sat down and created this- most of it while sitting on my living room floor watching The Transporter. I started with a 15 Million candle power "Cyclops" halogen flashlight. I liked the light output, but the battery wouldnt last long because of the 130 watt bulb. So I happened to have to replace a headlight assembly in the CTS-v, so I had this laying around. The whole project was finished before The Transporter was over :)

What I started with :
DSC00609Large.jpg

And the HID guts...
DSC00607Large.jpg

I cut a piece of Lexan to replace the original glass lens. This was so I could bolt the projector reflector in.....
DSC00612Large.jpg

Took projector apart to use the raw reflector...
DSC00611Large.jpg

drilled holes to mount the projecotor. I ended up spacing the housing away from the Lexan so it could vent after this picture was taken...
DSC00613Large.jpg

mounted ballast in the housing....
DSC00610Large.jpg

DSC00608Large.jpg

And everything assembled...
DSC00614Large.jpg

I am charging the battery at the moment, so I dont know yet how the beam pattern will be. I have the original large reflector that I may use if this one doesnt work. This is a pretty common light to retrofit with HID, but most use a universal kit with a small ballast where they can use the original reflector. But the Cadillac ballast was too large and has the igniter on the bulb base, so it wouldnt fit easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many watts does the HID pull compared to the other bulb which is 130 watts? What is the candlepower rating on the HID bulb?

The HID is only 35 Watts, but it puts out more light than the 130 Watt halogen. I am not sure of the candlepower, but the original rating of 15 million was a stretch.

The Lexan lens might get discolored from the ultraviolet light. Does it run cooler than the original bulb?

Yes, the HIDs run much cooler than halogens.

Also, I just went out to check the beam pattern and it is pretty terrible- there is a big dark spot right were you aim the light. So, I am going to space the reflector down with some larger bolts and add the projector lens back.

why not get an HID kit, they are really cheap right now, the flashlight will be more fun to have.

It wasnt hard to put the projector back on- I used to pieces of lexan to mount it...

DSC00615Large.jpg

DSC00616Large.jpg

How did you cut a circle out of Lexan? What is the thickness of the Lexan? Why did you decide to use an existing flashlight instead of making one out of PVC or ABS?

The Lexan is 1/8" and I used a table saw to cut it. I used the existing flashlight because I already had it, it had a blown bulb, and has a good 7Ah battery :)

why not get an HID kit, they are really cheap right now, the flashlight will be more fun to have.

I dont really understand what you are asking.

I went to get some pictures of the beam pattern last night, but the battery burst while on the charger; so I just ordered a new 8Ah battery. I will get more picture when it comes in..

finally, it has power....

DSC00623Large.jpg

DSC00626Large.jpg

Back