Bosch or Autolite plug wires for SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bosch or Autolite plug wires for SOHC

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
I am going to buy some new plug wires for my truck. Looking at either Bosch or Autolite. Has anyone used these brands and have any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to buy some new plug wires for my truck. Looking at either Bosch or Autolite. Has anyone used these brands and have any recommendations?

My opinion of the two...Autolite.

What about Motorcraft? OEM is definitely your best choice in plugs with Explorers it seems. Surf around the site. Lots of people have issues with Bosch. Autolite are made by the same company as Motorcraft if I'm not mistaken so I'd take those if that was the case and I had a choice of only those two.

From all my readings on the subject here, go with Autolite, all I read is negativity about Bosch plugs on Explorers. Or as Celly said, Motorcraft. Autolites are really reasonable and available at Wally Mart.

Not looking for plugs, but plug wires (wireset) I would go with OEM but they are around $80 and as the truck is getting older I am starting to find more budget items where I can..

Not looking for plugs, but plus wires (wireset) I would go with OEM but they are around $80 and as the truck is getting older I am starting to find more budget items where I can..

Plug wires are one thing that you get what you pay for. I put s set of part store brand on my '97 5.0 and they lasted one year. So much for saving money.

My bad. You still can't go wrong with OEM.

First off, I run a OHV V6 not the SOHC...

I use the Autolite Professional Series spark plug wires in mine. If they ever mess up when disconnecting to change wires or ever just defect Advance Auto will replace the entire set for free. I didn't know this up until recently which made my day because I was expecting to spend 30ish dollars on a new set. Imagine my surprise when I get a whole new set for free!

Great customer service! I purchased some Jacobs 8.5mm wires but have yet to put them on. Still running original plugs/wires. Ex is running great. I guess that says something about OEM considering 14 years old.

Mine are still OEM as well. 215,000KM and 10 years. They work fine except when it snows the engine "bucks". Has to be ignition, and my guess is the wires. Plugs are Motorcraft double Platinium and have just over 100K Kiliometers on them.

My Mechanic (of about 15 years), on Explorers recommends ONLY Motorcraft Plugs and OEM 8MM wires ....Just had a new set (plugs and wires) installed and holy cow, I need wheelie bars now on my 5.0 ....big change in HP....
steve n oklahoma

MOTORCRAFT is worth the extra ducks for wires or plugs. I have tried Autolite Platinum once but never again. They are good, but there is a noticable difference with OEM here.

I ended up buying the Autolite Professional wires. They were $41 less a $10 store rebate. Quality seems very good, maybe 95% as good as the OEM wires. I found my wire that came off cylinder #1 had a nick in the insulation where it must have been rubbing on something behind the motor (out of sight). The wire was about 3 feet long and had resistance of around 18 ohms. New wires were 7 -11 ohms depending on length. My idle seems to be smoother, and I am sure the break in the insulation was causing my problems. Overall I would reccommend the Autolite Prefessional wires.

I also replaced plugs/wires at 100,000 with Motorcraft/OEM.

Back