Both my ABS light and Check Engine Lights are on....... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Both my ABS light and Check Engine Lights are on.......

Daylamay

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a 1999 Explorer XLT..... The ABS Light has been on for over one year (before I bought it). I had breaks, rotors, etc...changed and ABS checked and they saw no problems. The mechanic said it is probably just the sensor. More than one year later I have had no problems, and now today the Check Engine Light went on. Could this just be sensor replacement issues? Also, does anyone know if this could be another problem that would cause both the lights to go on even though there is a long break in between when the first light went on? Thanks for any help anyone could provide. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, they can't be related. The abs could be any number of things, mines been on for a long time too but I just ignore it.

The check engine light is for something with the engine management system. Take it to the nearest AutoZone and they can put a reader on it and give you an idea of what it is. Could be something cheap like plugs.

You need to have the code(s) read for both the CEL as well as the ABS.

A shop or dealer has to do the ABS codes though, and it'll cost ya. The Check engine light can be done by Autozone or another parts store for free to get you started and give you an idea of what needs to be done.

We charge I think 45 bucks for a scan (of any system). You need to get the codes before you start replacing stuff. Replacing brakes, rotors, etc shouldn't correct your problem because really the "brakes" have nothing to do with ABS - sensors, wires, and modules are usually the problems.

-Drew

EDIT: the reasons you haven't had any problems is because the ABS is totally shut down. Not saying your in more danger, but just be careful on wet/icy roads.

Thanks for the advice. You made me realize one thing. Two weeks after I bought this truck, my brakes locked up on me and I skid out of control into a cement median. I had some front end corner damage which would have been worse if I got nervous and kept my foot on the brakes but I pulled out ok. I figured I just wasn't used to a truck being that I always had large luxury cars. It did suck that I am 36 years old and never had even a fender bender in my entire life of driving (20 years). Being that this is not a "brake" problem, who's the best to see, if you know? Thanks again!
Dawn

well any well-known independent shop can help you out - but I guess a dealer could help you.

-Drew

If your ABS had been working properly, the brakes shouldn't have locked up on you. As everyone else has stated, the CEL shouldn't be related to the ABS light.

A bad alternator can cause both of these problems.

The brake issues maybe the hub assembly since the ABS sensor is located in it on the 4WD/AWD models. I had an issue with mine recently prior to swapping. One day on the Baltimore beltway, the drivers front brake locked up causing me to go sideways. Unfortunately the hub assemblies are known to go bad frequently on the 2nd gens. Also an alternator cannot cause these issues as previously posted. The ABS module/system is a different system that the recharging system of our truck's electrical system.

My check engine light goes on and off intermittantly, no rhyme nor reason. From everyone I've talked to, it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. Now the ABS light may be a different thing. You have had this light on since the start without apparent problems, but my ABS light went on a few weeks ago. Read my Chilton's, and thought, yeah when I get around to it, I'll go in to an auto parts place and have it checked for codes. Maybe a two weeks later, my RH front tire began grinding, and squeeling from the brake area. Upon investigation, and with the kind assistance of the members of this forum, I will be replacing my hub/bearing assembly tonight. I suggest you may want to check your wheels for any play. As suggested elsewhere on this forum, jack it up and try to wiggle your wheels back and foward. If they are not tight, chances are your bearings are shot, which would cause the ABS light to go on.

Back