Bottom End Rattling | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Bottom End Rattling

00Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I bought a 2000 explorer xls v6 about 3 months ago...about 3 weeks ago a strange rattle started coming from the bottom end somewhere. It appears about 15 seconds after a cold startup and never goes away. It does not get louder or faster with RPM.. also i can barely hear the rattle when its in drive or reverse..its louder in park or neutral..I checked the entire exhaust and i know its not that...it sounds like it is coming from the front of the oil pan or close to it...let me know if anybody knows....thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
4.0L sohc or OHV engine?

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
OHV engines had what they call a carbon knock. It builds up carbon on the pistons and causes almost like a knock/ bearing noise at idle. Ford had you decarbon the engine and then road test at 4000rpm for like 5 miles. They told you to drive at least 4000 rpm once everytime you drive vehicle to help stop the carbon buildup. The noise won't hurt anything.

00Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
i think thiss is a diffrent sound...its a rattle and dont sound like the bearings...kinda like marbles bouncing around...and i was told it was not the oil pump

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Thats it! They list the noise as marbles back in the Ford literature, I just couldn't remember the word.