bottom large opening in grille allows small rocks in AC fins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bottom large opening in grille allows small rocks in AC fins

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
...it almost looks like this gap was forgotten in the design...the AC fins are right behind this gap and already some tiny rocks wedged in the fins ...

anyone seen/mod'd this gap with something that wont block too much air but can protect whats behind it?
a nice mesh or even the same as what is above this gap ...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

comes from following too closely in our 'sport utes' :)

but agree, a supported grill of some kind may help... but a concern would be if you had a problem with that not getting enough air flow and the overheating damaging something.... probably would void warranty on that part..

Is that the ac or a tranny cooler for towing maybe ?!?

I dont have tow pkg, its large, goes across almost entire front area, I believe its the AC.

Yes I think anything in that space isnt good, but something that was an essentially 'open' grille, with openings not too tight, would be better than nothing.

The road conditions in the NE are horrible after plowing all winter - sand, rocks, bits of asphalt and debris everywhere, mixed with med to high hiway winds all summer...driving can become sandblasting...

there are no mounts i can see, considering warranty i would not want to mod...probably have to drill and use brackets etc

When I owned my Honda Odyssey, there was a huge problem with rocks hitting the AC cooling line, resulting in 1k repair bills. Most people used gutter screen from Home Depot, etc., painted black and installed in the large openings. There was no impact to the cooling or airflow over the radiators. This might be a perfect solution.

yes its something to consider...looked today and from the side 2 bent fins with 4 or 5 tiny rocks wedged in throughout...

You should see the bottom of the A/C condenser on our '06 mustang. Tons of bent fins after 220k miles and one off-road jaunt. Those things are stronger than they look.

~Mark

i plan on putting an led light bar in that location.

Back