Bought 2017 Explorer for two days and realized power folding mirror doesn't work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought 2017 Explorer for two days and realized power folding mirror doesn't work

ssMichaelss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Tried to folding the mirror today and it didn't work on driver side. I found out that there is plastic that is not in position and prevent the mirror to fold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried to folding the mirror today and it didn't work on driver side. I found that there is plastic that is not in position and prevent the mirror to fold.
Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
As mentioned, you should take the vehicle back to the dealer to have them fix it.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Michael.:wave:
As mentioned, you should take the vehicle back to the dealer to have them fix it.

Peter

Thanks, I bought the car from a dealership that is about an hour away. Tried to contact the local ford dealership,but no Service Advisor answer the phone. Called three times in last 4 hours and left three voice mails. I'm assuming the local ford dealership should fix it for me. Right?

Thanks, I bought the car from a dealership that is about an hour away. Tried to contact the local ford dealership,but no Service Advisor answer the phone. Called three times in last 4 hours and left three voice mails. I'm assuming the local ford dealership should fix it for me. Right?
Any Ford or Lincoln dealership should fix a warranty item. Either they are very busy or not very customer orientated. May be something to watch.

Peter

Before you do it, the mirrors are designed for you to be able to fold them in yourself. I've push on it and try to fold it in first all the way and try the button again. I had to do this on my Ex once when it stopped working. Without digging through the manual, I thought it even speaks about this.

Updated: I made appointment for today on April 6th. The Service Advisor told me that he is going to submit request to Ford for the replace mirror but Ford may deny it because there is scratch on the mirror. The scratch is very minor and I didn't notice it until he told me. So I don't know if it was there before or after I made the appointment. Any ideas if there are anythings I can do if Ford denies it? I will upload some pics.

Unable to fold because the plastic pops out.
is5S1UZ.jpg

Scratch...............
kMyWBhl.jpg

I've seen Ford deny people on the superduty because of scratches which you could tell were caused by getting rubbed/whacked on something (building, wall, atm etc). However these are designed to fold manually and a little tap should not break it.

On top of that, if both are not folding, that isn't caused from a scratch.

There is not indentation or crack which to me means it was never hit hard enough to break on the customer's dime.

You could take a key or screw driver and cause the same scratch 8thout impacting the mirror causing internals to break. It would be a B.S. cop out and would feel very comfortable taking them to small claims.

Updated: I made appointment for today on April 6th. The Service Advisor told me that he is going to submit request to Ford for the replace mirror but Ford may deny it because there is scratch on the mirror. The scratch is very minor and I didn't notice it until he told me. So I don't know if it was there before or after I made the appointment. Any ideas if there are anythings I can do if Ford denies it? I will upload some pics.
That's BS and you can probably buff it off or use a platic polish wipe and it will be shinier than new.

Updated: Got a call from the local dealership. It's conditional approval. Ford didn't see any marks or scratches on the mirror but local dealership has to send back the part and if they see any marks or scratches, they are going to deny it. What should I do?

Have them replace it.

If they send me a bill, then go from there? Thanks

Yes, I'd go from there but in reality, how are they going to force you to pay not that you want to play that game.. but just get it swapped and see what happened. A scratch does not mean impact.

Yes, I'd go from there but in reality, how are they going to force you to pay not that you want to play that game.. but just get it swapped and see what happened. A scratch does not mean impact.

It sucks. Just called them back and told I have to pay deposit. The conditional approval is Ford asked the local dealership to check to make sure there are no scratches or marks otherwise they won't pay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back