Bought 2019 Explorer Limited after returning Edge lease, good decision? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought 2019 Explorer Limited after returning Edge lease, good decision?

ExplorerMama

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
I am pretty sad that I found this forum a few days after signing some papers for a preowned 2019 Explorer Limited. I was leasing a 2019 Edge and had 16 months left, and knew I wanted an Explorer because my teen kids complain about not having enough space in the Edge.

I had done some research but hadn't found this forum yet and it really isn't until you read the discussion of others that you begin to understand a little more about what you want. With the vehicle market the way it is I jumped, perhaps too soon, on returning my lease (which amazingly they gave me equity on) and financed the Explorer.

I have never bought a preowned vehicle before, and I wonder if I should have just ordered a 2022 even though there is a long wait. I'm hoping to hear some positives about my purchase of the 2019 in comparison to buying brand new.

Mine has 28k kms and I was impressed with its features of having the second row heated, having cooled seats, power folding 3rd row, handsfree lift gate etc. Being on this forum I realize that 2020+ was redesigned and some review sites say the 2019 seats are not comfortable but 2020+ are. We will be going on longer road trips with this vehicle as we are a 10 hour drive to my parents house which pre-covid we could visit twice per year. Is the 2020+ really that much more comfortable? Did I make a good choice with the 2019? Curious to hear what others think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 2019 Limited 3.5 V6 NA 2wd sight unseen from Vroom, with 28k miles 2 years ago. No issues, couldn't be happier so far, currently have 32k miles on it.

Is it 2wd, 4wd? 3.5 V6 or ecoboost V6, how many miles....

I bought a 2019 Limited 3.5 V6 NA 2wd sight unseen from Vroom, with 28k miles 2 years ago. No issues, couldn't be happier so far, currently have 32k miles on it.
That's great to hear! I am worried about things I have been reading on this forum like that water pump issue leading to engine failure.

So far I have noticed a few issues with mine, which I am bringing in for service next week. The drivers heated seat does not heat up around the lumbar/lower back section of the seat. They missed a recall for roof rack trim detachment. I find the heated steering wheel on my Edge was way warmer. And the hood lifted up today while my husband was driving on the highway with it. He says the latch seems very finicky. Anyways fingers crossed this will be the worst of it.

Is it 2wd, 4wd? 3.5 V6 or ecoboost V6, how many miles....
It is a 4WD 2.3L I4 Ecoboost with 28k kms (17.4k miles) - I wanted it to be similar on gas like my Edge was, and so far it is. I also like how it drives as my Edge had a weird delay when you pushed the gas.

It is a 4WD 2.3L I4 Ecoboost with 28k kms (17.4k miles) - I wanted it to be similar on gas like my Edge was, and so far it is. I also like how it drives as my Edge had a weird delay when you pushed the gas.
Just make sure to have the PTU fluid drained and fill around every 25-30k miles. I'm not sure how the water pumps are on the 4 cylinders, or if they're internal like on my 3.5 V6!

You know that you could order the 2022/3 Explorer and when it comes in sell your 2019 for very little loss. Used cars in good shape bring in mucho trade in.

Fritz

You know that you could order the 2022/3 Explorer and when it comes in sell your 2019 for very little loss. Used cars in good shape bring in mucho trade in.

Fritz
I just got the 2019 last Thursday... I'd love to do that but my sales guy is going to think I'm nuts lol I'd be asking the same dealership to buy this back, would they even do that?

I just got the 2019 last Thursday... I'd love to do that but my sales guy is going to think I'm nuts lol I'd be asking the same dealership to buy this back, would they even do that?

Sure they would....but you likely won't get back what you paid.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Seeing that you are already aware of the water pump issue and still have some warranty left, I would recommend that you consider getting a Ford ESP. Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Seeing that you are already aware of the water pump issue and still have some warranty left, I would recommend that you consider getting a Ford ESP. Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter
Hi Peter, thank you for the welcome. I did buy Premium Care I believe they call it, for 120k kms or until 2026.

We have a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EB. Currently has 75,000 miles and it runs great, plenty of power and decent gas mileage. We did have to replace the water pump due to a gasket leak early on. It was under warranty, but if we had to pay for it it would have been cheap as it's an external mounted water pump and easy to access. Coming from a 4.6 L V-8 Explorer we were pleasantly surprised by the power and the much better gas mileage the 2.3 EB 4 cylinder gets. The ATF and PTU fluid are easy to replace with the 2.3 EB, as previously stated, do it every 25,000-30,000 miles for a long happy trouble free life.

Pretty sure the 4 cyl engine does not have an internal water pump,

I am pretty sad that I found this forum a few days after signing some papers for a preowned 2019 Explorer Limited. I was leasing a 2019 Edge and had 16 months left, and knew I wanted an Explorer because my teen kids complain about not having enough space in the Edge.

I had done some research but hadn't found this forum yet and it really isn't until you read the discussion of others that you begin to understand a little more about what you want. With the vehicle market the way it is I jumped, perhaps too soon, on returning my lease (which amazingly they gave me equity on) and financed the Explorer.

I have never bought a preowned vehicle before, and I wonder if I should have just ordered a 2022 even though there is a long wait. I'm hoping to hear some positives about my purchase of the 2019 in comparison to buying brand new.

Mine has 28k kms and I was impressed with its features of having the second row heated, having cooled seats, power folding 3rd row, handsfree lift gate etc. Being on this forum I realize that 2020+ was redesigned and some review sites say the 2019 seats are not comfortable but 2020+ are. We will be going on longer road trips with this vehicle as we are a 10 hour drive to my parents house which pre-covid we could visit twice per year. Is the 2020+ really that much more comfortable? Did I make a good choice with the 2019? Curious to hear what others think.
Congratulations on your 2019 Explorer. I owned or leased 4 Fifth Generation Explorers. I ended-up purchasing a 2019 XLT because I could a la carte the options. I also like that I could get the NA V6. What I found is that the final year for the Explorer, they seemed to work out all the problems from the previous years. Some of our Explorers during the Fifth Generation had quirks/issues and the 2019 has none of those issues. The biggest issue was with the Fifth Generation exhaust systems, but our 2019 has a different exhaust system which clearly Ford finally adjusted - unfortunately waiting until the final year of production to fix a known issue. We love the 2019 and are absolutely thrilled that we bought the 2019 vs. any of the Sixth Generation models. My only concern for you is the engine. The 3.5L NA V6 engine is one of the best ever that Ford made. We are able to get an average of over 21MPG from the 3.5L V6 and have never had any issues with the engine. We expect to have our 2019 for well over the next decade.

Fritz
I have a 2015 Sport with only 49K miles - bought it in 2015 from CarMax for $35K. They will give me $26K. Amazing. KBB listed it around $15K last year BC (before Covid). 😉

So, I'm thinking of taking advantage of the crazy market and getting another. I really like the Ex but I'm really concerned that because the prices are really inflated for used vehicles, that the value will drop like a rock as soon as things settle. I have my eye on a 2022 Timberline because it comes with all bells and whistles included. It costs as much as several low mileage 2019 Ex Sports. I'm wondering if that has to do with so few being available or if it really is such a good vehicle? 6th Gen had tons of issues and recalls but have since seemed to have settled down.

I'll ask in the 6th Gen for opinions too.

I just recently picked up a 2018 Edge Sport to replace (sort of) my 2014 Ex Sport.
By sort of I mean I actually bought a Golf R ~2 years ago, which was to replace the Ex, but after less than 2 years, it just didn't fit our needs.
So, I sold my R to Carmax for basically what I paid + all maintenance and gas for 2 years. I drove it for free.

Of course, I overpaid for the Edge, but it fits our needs much better...plus the seats are way more comfortable.

@jsgoofn - It's kind of a double edge sword right now. If you are thinking about selling/trading your 15 Ex, you can get a lot for it, but you pay a lot for something new (or used). If you wait until the market corrects itself, you end up getting that much less for your 15.

@ExplorerMama - You can look at the 2019 as the most polished 5th gen in a way. It's the last year of the 5th gen, so most of the issues will be sorted out. The water pump and PTU issues, unfortunately haven't been completely resolved, but I can't say they are something to be majorly concerned about early in vehicle life. Some preventative maintenance on the PTU (fluid changes) and plan to change the water pump around 100-120k miles and you should be OK.

As for the seats, I don't know if the 19's are different than the 14's, but I would say the seats in my Ex are very comfortable. They are soft and supportive. I know some people complain about the short seat bottom and it bothered me a little bit for a short time when I got it, but I don't notice it at all anymore. The seats in my Golf R were hard on the bottom and back, which made trips longer than 1hr uncomfortable, so that was another reason I had to let it go.

I just recently picked up a 2018 Edge Sport to replace (sort of) my 2014 Ex Sport.
By sort of I mean I actually bought a Golf R ~2 years ago, which was to replace the Ex, but after less than 2 years, it just didn't fit our needs.
So, I sold my R to Carmax for basically what I paid + all maintenance and gas for 2 years. I drove it for free.

Of course, I overpaid for the Edge, but it fits our needs much better...plus the seats are way more comfortable.

@jsgoofn - It's kind of a double edge sword right now. If you are thinking about selling/trading your 15 Ex, you can get a lot for it, but you pay a lot for something new (or used). If you wait until the market corrects itself, you end up getting that much less for your 15.

@ExplorerMama - You can look at the 2019 as the most polished 5th gen in a way. It's the last year of the 5th gen, so most of the issues will be sorted out. The water pump and PTU issues, unfortunately haven't been completely resolved, but I can't say they are something to be majorly concerned about early in vehicle life. Some preventative maintenance on the PTU (fluid changes) and plan to change the water pump around 100-120k miles and you should be OK.

As for the seats, I don't know if the 19's are different than the 14's, but I would say the seats in my Ex are very comfortable. They are soft and supportive. I know some people complain about the short seat bottom and it bothered me a little bit for a short time when I got it, but I don't notice it at all anymore. The seats in my Golf R were hard on the bottom and back, which made trips longer than 1hr uncomfortable, so that was another reason I had to let it go.
Thanks for the insight. I was actually going to use the extra cash from the 15 Ex to pay off some nagging bills and use some equity to get a new or newer Ex. Just need to decide if I want the 6th Gen or stick with a newer 5th Gen. Decisions, decisions 🤔 😊

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you all for helping me change my perspective to more positive!

My new Weather Tech mats showed up today and I bring it in for service tomorrow at 10am. I am hoping they can fix the few issues that I have found so far and then it will be perfect! :)

Back