Bought a '97 Explorer (kind of)....performance ?'s within. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a '97 Explorer (kind of)....performance ?'s within.

mattscherrygt

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
N/A
Hey all,

I went and put money down on a '97 Explorer the other day. XLT, 5.0L, 82,600 miles, leather, dark gray exterior, blah blah.

Anyways, I didn't pick it up yet because as part of the sales deal, the dealer is going to FIX (not COVER UP) a valve tap it has and also fix the oil pressure gauge which was going a bit crazy during the test drive. (let me know if you guys know anything about these problems/associated with this vehicle). Other than that, the vehicle is beautiful....interior is flawless!

Now, on to the question: I seem to be having a hard time finding performance exhaust for these things. I would have thought that the V8 models would have some market, but I can't find anything online when searching. I even searched this forum and didn't find anything. Any ideas on aftermarket exhaust systems? (just cat-back...I'm not looking on going all out, I just basically want good looks and good, fairly loud sound). It doesn't matter whether it's dual or single, I'm just interested in seeing whats out there. Suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any and all info on this vehicle, and the exhaust aftermarket. Thanks again.

Matt

Congrats on the new truck.

I have a 98 V8 and there is plenty of stuff out there for it. You can check summitracing.com or explorerexpress.com or just get a custom job done. I will be getting a custom 70 series flowmaster done in the near future (I like it a bit quieter).

If you are looking for added power, you might want to go with a chip or a flasher. I got the flasher from HypIllauto (Wayne) and love the performance increase! Here is his site: http://www.hypillauto.com/ You will want to PM or email him for more info. He is great to work with and gives members here a discount.

I am currently checking to see how much improved economy I gained. The link is here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123317

You need to go to page 2 or 3.

BTW: I dont think you are hearing a valve tap. 97's and 98's are known to have passenger side manifold leaks that sound like a tapping noise. These 5.0's are near bullet proof. Just something to check on if the dealer gets lost chasing his tail.

Thanks for the response and the links, man. About the "tap": I am almost positive that it is indeed a valve tap, but I could be wrong. I hope it's an exhaust leak, but either way, the dealer is absorbing the cost of repair so it doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks again for the links. I am gonna check them out. I may just end up doing a custom job myself. For the money/HP gain, it might be more efficient....

Any ideas about the gauge??? Is that normal? Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Matt

Any ideas about the gauge??? Is that normal? Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I dont know about the gauge... If I were to guess, I would think the sending unit is bad. Should be an easy fix, even for a dealer. LOL.

Back