Bought a Ford Explorer 97 - Few issues however | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a Ford Explorer 97 - Few issues however

Valleriani

Reaction score
City, State
Enkoping, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC V6
Hello there!

I just bought a nice explorer yesterday with the lady, we are pretty happy with the car.

For the most everything was rebuilt/fixed on the truck, only minor issues from what I can tell, but I'll need help figuring these out! I've checked a few links so far here but I'm pretty new to these forums so I'm a bit confused as well.

First issue: The instrument panel and the lights behind in the middle (where the radio is, behind there) are not working. The dome lights work, the dimmer switch does work (Can turn on the dome light this way, the windows going up and down do work as well for the most part. I've read about some minor issues with changing wires in the dimmer, but I don't really think that is the case (But I'll probably do it anyways in the end..) The lights such as 4x4 or battery light, etc, do work, just the night time instrument panel lights, like reading the speedometer is pretty impossible at night with no lights! Any suggestions? I did find a wiring diagram at http://www.scribd.com/doc/10112665/95-Explorer-Diagrams for a 95, but should be fine for my car, but I'm not a 'huge' techhy on what I should look at first. I also found a how-to on removing the dashboard panel which was helpful at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=230211 ..

Second Issue: The front driver door doesn't open with the remote (stock remote), so I have to open the door with the key manually. I'm not sure what I should be searching exactly for this one. Basicly all the other doors are great, so I'm guessing it's something like a module? But I'm not sure what I should do here, I probably have to remove the whole door panel I think... Are there any diagrams for this and what I should 'replace?' I'm guessing some sort of module like I stated above, but I'm not sure of the part name, etc.

Third Issue: The battery light is on, and likes to stay on. The battery is brand new, and the alternator is charging, about 13.5V when running, so I believe it is charging just fine. Had it on a nice long drive and there were no issues really or 'battery loss' etc.

Overall I'm very happy with the truck, it rides very smooth, and having a 4x4 is great for parking here at the moment, (Goes over those snow hills nicely!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello there!

I just bought a nice explorer yesterday with the lady, we are pretty happy with the car.

For the most everything was rebuilt/fixed on the truck, only minor issues from what I can tell, but I'll need help figuring these out! I've checked a few links so far here but I'm pretty new to these forums so I'm a bit confused as well.

First issue: The instrument panel and the lights behind in the middle (where the radio is, behind there) are not working. The dome lights work, the dimmer switch does work (Can turn on the dome light this way, the windows going up and down do work as well for the most part. I've read about some minor issues with changing wires in the dimmer, but I don't really think that is the case (But I'll probably do it anyways in the end..) The lights such as 4x4 or battery light, etc, do work, just the night time instrument panel lights, like reading the speedometer is pretty impossible at night with no lights! Any suggestions? I did find a wiring diagram at http://www.scribd.com/doc/10112665/95-Explorer-Diagrams for a 95, but should be fine for my car, but I'm not a 'huge' techhy on what I should look at first. I also found a how-to on removing the dashboard panel which was helpful at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=230211 ..

Second Issue: The front driver door doesn't open with the remote (stock remote), so I have to open the door with the key manually. I'm not sure what I should be searching exactly for this one. Basicly all the other doors are great, so I'm guessing it's something like a module? But I'm not sure what I should do here, I probably have to remove the whole door panel I think... Are there any diagrams for this and what I should 'replace?' I'm guessing some sort of module like I stated above, but I'm not sure of the part name, etc.

Third Issue: The battery light is on, and likes to stay on. The battery is brand new, and the alternator is charging, about 13.5V when running, so I believe it is charging just fine. Had it on a nice long drive and there were no issues really or 'battery loss' etc.

Overall I'm very happy with the truck, it rides very smooth, and having a 4x4 is great for parking here at the moment, (Goes over those snow hills nicely!)

If the radio lights(they are actually not lights, but a sheet of plastic that lights up!) the dimmer switch is probably bad, I had to take mine apart and resolder it. A used one is probably a good idea. Try to tap and play with the dimmer wheel, it may be an intermittant thing.

Your door could have a bad power door lock motor or wiring. Does it work when you use the inside switches?

The alternator has a single wire that likes to get loose and turn the light on. Look at the alternator and wiggle this wire, see if the warning goes off....

you should be seeing closer to 14.2v on the system with the engine running, obviously 13.5v is working but I think it should be a little higher

If the radio lights(they are actually not lights, but a sheet of plastic that lights up!) the dimmer switch is probably bad, I had to take mine apart and resolder it. A used one is probably a good idea. Try to tap and play with the dimmer wheel, it may be an intermittant thing.

Your door could have a bad power door lock motor or wiring. Does it work when you use the inside switches?

The alternator has a single wire that likes to get loose and turn the light on. Look at the alternator and wiggle this wire, see if the warning goes off....

I wiggled the dimmer switch up and down but don't really see any change, if I press it right up the dome light comes on though, not sure, I'll most likely replace it then, probably look on ebay.

It doesn't no, It doesn't respond to power at all, where can I get a 'lock motor'? Is that what it is called?

And I'll try the alternator thing, maybe have to tighten it down then!
The voltage could of been around 14V, I'm using a very old meter to test it with, need to get a digitial meter or something a bit better :) I'll let everyone know though.

Thanks for the quick replies, really helps!

Oh just to state..
With the dimmer thing, the clock works with the dimmer, which is strange, I'm not entirely sure it's the dimmer anymore. So maybe its not that..

As well I was curious to know the size of the wiper front/back blades because I have no information on that either! Thanks!

My 98 explorer sport has 2 18" blades in front and 1 14" inch blade in the back.

I just bought duralast wipers for it, the 14 inch blade came with two brackets, neither of which worked, I used one of the old brackets from the front windsheild wipers and it works fine, snaps in place and all that good stuff.

If it helps, the codes were DL-18 for the front duralast, and DL-14 for the back duralast. (not the duralast winter model).

Hope this was helpful:)

Oh just to state..
With the dimmer thing, the clock works with the dimmer, which is strange, I'm not entirely sure it's the dimmer anymore. So maybe its not that..

As well I was curious to know the size of the wiper front/back blades because I have no information on that either! Thanks!

do you have a radio control panel in the rear? How about an overhead console or message center? If those don't respond to changes in the dial it is most likely the dimmer.

do you have a radio control panel in the rear? How about an overhead console or message center? If those don't respond to changes in the dial it is most likely the dimmer.

I believe I have the overhead console (where it displays outside temp and such?) I'll have to give it a try tommorrow afternoon then I'll report back. Don't have a radio control panel though.

Okay, the overhead console does respond to the dimmer actually.

I forgot to state that there 'is' a deck in the car (not stock) so the radio does light up, its one of those generic square pioneer ones. But I've marked what I think DOES/SHOULD light up because none of it does except for the time light and the overhead console light that respond to the dimmer.

I could be wrong that these don't light (in the image), this isn't a pic of the inside of my car, (since it has the stock radio). But its the same kind of interior, and i'm circling all the things that don't light up that I think should be.

lightup.jpg

Okay, the overhead console does respond to the dimmer actually.

I forgot to state that there 'is' a deck in the car (not stock) so the radio does light up, its one of those generic square pioneer ones. But I've marked what I think DOES/SHOULD light up because none of it simply doesn't cept the time light and the overhead console that respond to the dimmer.

I could be wrong that these don't light, this isn't a pic of my car, since it has the stock radio, so ignore that ;) But its the same different, and i'm circling all the things that don't light up that I should should be.

lightup.jpg

You can download a 97 manual from my link in the signature and study the wiring diagram for instrument cluster lighting. Then you can plan a strategy before you tear the car apart, you will start say at the dimmer switch and know if the problem is upstream or down. There are also pinpoint tests that can walk you thru issues.

This will give you clues where to look. The only other easy thing would be a blown fuse, and the manual will tell you which one controls the lights. Also, the manual is great to have if you own an ex, anytime you have an issue (minor or major) it gives you lots info which is peace of mind. I wouldn't want to own a car without that literature.

did you check all of the fuses?

Yeah all the fuses are good, tried swapping a few that are 'involved' and nothing changes really :( I'll have to rip it apart when we get our house in a couple months completely since I can't get a garage here atm, which sucks!

Well I might get one or two new bulbs to test, no harm there.. What is the size of them anywho? What type that is.

Thanks!

the gauge bulbs should be 194. let me know what you find out cause my cruise control lights on the right hand side of the steering wheel arent lit up. nor oare my fog light switch and rear defroster button lighting up or "glowing" when it is are dark out or when the lights are on.

the gauge bulbs should be 194. let me know what you find out cause my cruise control lights on the right hand side of the steering wheel arent lit up. nor oare my fog light switch and rear defroster button lighting up or "glowing" when it is are dark out or when the lights are on.

Those switches have tiny bulbs that you can either get at a dealer or or radio shack. Believe it or not they carry these "wheat grain" bulbs in some stores.

i will have to look into this tonight

Back