Bought a new toy...

LBarr2002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
Early this month I posted this thread about entering the '92 X in Competition: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2193576#post2193576. It was fun, but the Explorer is too big and heavy for those courses...so

May 1st I brought this home :D
picture.php

I just got my title transferred and all that stuff in order so I figured it was time to announce it. I've got to get power steering installed and some shock mounts on it before the end of June for the next competition in the series.

Its on Wagoneer Dana 44's with 5.89 gears and spooled. Its completely stock drivetrain, all 65 HP with the 1.3L. Interior is stock, complete, and clean, and there's no rust in it. Its almost too pretty to cut up and wheel...:p:

It was on 315/75/16's when I bought it, but they were too big for it and for the class I'm in. Here's how it is now, with two good 285/75/16s on the front and some junk tires off my brother's truck on the back till I can find two more good tires. Anybody got any 285's?

picture.php

It looks so cute down there, don't it?

As for this,
picture.php

Its fate is undecided right now... I sold my stock Explorer to get a little money back to work on the Samurai. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick some 35's on the '92 and keep it for playing around here and driving around town.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...And another Sami joins the Forum...

...It looks like it is in really nice shape...:biggthump

Early this month I posted this thread about entering the '92 X in Competition: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2193576#post2193576. It was fun, but the Explorer is too big and heavy for those courses...so

May 1st I brought this home :D
picture.php

I just got my title transferred and all that stuff in order so I figured it was time to announce it. I've got to get power steering installed and some shock mounts on it before the end of June for the next competition in the series.

Its on Wagoneer Dana 44's with 5.89 gears and spooled. Its completely stock drivetrain, all 65 HP with the 1.3L. Interior is stock, complete, and clean, and there's no rust in it. Its almost too pretty to cut up and wheel...:p:

It was on 315/75/16's when I bought it, but they were too big for it and for the class I'm in. Here's how it is now, with two good 285/75/16s on the front and some junk tires off my brother's truck on the back till I can find two more good tires. Anybody got any 285's?

picture.php

It looks so cute down there, don't it?

As for this,
picture.php

Its fate is undecided right now... I sold my stock Explorer to get a little money back to work on the Samurai. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick some 35's on the '92 and keep it for playing around here and driving around town.

congrats on the buy are you going to be runing it at the gulches event if so i will be looking for you

i noticed from one of your other links that you exploded a hub i did the same exact thing there 3 weeks ago i busted the left one which one did you bust i broke it right before heart breaker

Broke the left front in the bowl. They're sent off to Warn and I'm waiting on my replacements.

And yes, I'm planning on competing with it. I just got off the phone with Charlie (Center) talking about power steering conversions and cages.

That's the beauty of it. Half the weight, 2/3 the length, similar width, same height to roof, and like 5 inches more ground clearance to the rockers.

Update:

Its now got power steering, full cage, race buckets, 6-point harnesses, front bumper and winch, t-case cradle...

picture.php

And I've got a new set of tires ready to go on.

Loaded up for a competition:
picture.php

Didn't take long to do this:
picture.php

...It looks like you've gone flippin crazy like the rest of us...:biggthump

Nice flex shot I just had to share:

picture.php

..That is nice...:biggthump

...Are you strapped in that pic or is that a boundary rope???

Spotter rope. I think I got high centered just before that and he was still pulling.

Samurai's are allot of fun. Brings back some great memories while I was growing up my best friend had one and there was nowhere we couldn't go with that thing. Even pulled a Jeep Cherokee out of a bind with that thing. 65hp goes a long way on such a tiny wheelbase.

looks nice

Haha that looks like a fun little rig man :D

nice......=o)

Heard nice things come in small packages, now I see it. :thumbsup:

Got my 35's mounted this week.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thats a killer lookin sami!!:thumbsup:
I have been lookin to swap a set of 79 wagoneer 44's into my 88 tin top. I have a question if you dont mind, Are you runnin the narrow or wide track 44's and what springs are you runnin? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are 76-79 Waggy narrow trac axles. Front has stock YJ springs with the frame extended about 4 inches, and shackle reversal. Rear has 2 inch lift CJ front springs with missing links. It was level on stock CJ springs until the heavy bumper and tire.

Back