Bought a pair of Monroe 40005 Air Shocks for my 98 Explorer Limited and they're the wrong ones? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought a pair of Monroe 40005 Air Shocks for my 98 Explorer Limited and they're the wrong ones?

Nicholas Thomas

Reaction score
City, State
Portland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
Hi guys recently bought a pair of monroe 40005 front air shocks which had the green connector and everything but my mechanic said they're the wrong ones?

I went off an original parts diagram off bluelakeland ford and the superceeded parts number i was given matched so i don't know how i went so wrong?

These were the ones i bought

Monroe 40005MM Shock Absorber | eBay

Ford 2U2Z 18124 AA 2u2z18124aa Shock Absorber NOB for sale online | eBay

But my mechanic said I needed the following:

NEW Motorcraft Air Shock Absorber Front LH AS-502-G Ford Explorer 4WD 1995-2001 | eBay

and the RH one

How did I bugger this up so much?

And also, anyone want to buy my brand new air shocks :)

Nick, Australia.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front shocks you bought, those will work fine.

That is for the 95-98 Limited's which had the ARC shocks as standard equipment. Ford stopped making those shocks which had the electrical connections on them, long ago, maybe around 1999 or so. The 99-01 Explorers no longer had a standard ARC feature, but a new version was optional on all models. That one had just rear ARC shocks, which never had the electrical connections, and are still available on eBay feasibly.

I have the 99-01 system on my 99, I installed an entire 98 system into my 99 in 2006, changing just the ARC module to a 99-01 module.

First, how does your ARC work, if at all? How is the compressor, because those will die if they run continuously? Air leaks usually are the death of all ARC Explorers, and any old Ford with air shocks or springs.

So I suggest concentrating on the leaks, the compressor should rarely run at all.

I did not know there were any old NOS front shocks to be had, likely that source you found will be the only one ever again. Those NOS shocks are 20+ years old too.

The electrical feature is a minor firmness adjustment it began in the Turbo Coupe of the 80's I believe. It's good for the sports car, trivial for an old technology SUV, truck chassis.

Just install those shocks and leave the connector taped off/sealed/closed. The rears you should do the same thing, replace them now while doing the front. This is assuming you have no air leaks, work on that now, and lubricate the height sensor pivot points. I liked anti-seize for those, but just something which will last a long while. Keep those clean and lubricated, when they wear out the height will vary randomly until the sensors break, and those are obsolete too. Regards,

The front shocks you bought, those will work fine.

That is for the 95-98 Limited's which had the ARC shocks as standard equipment. Ford stopped making those shocks which had the electrical connections on them, long ago, maybe around 1999 or so. The 99-01 Explorers no longer had a standard ARC feature, but a new version was optional on all models. That one had just rear ARC shocks, which never had the electrical connections, and are still available on eBay feasibly.

I have the 99-01 system on my 99, I installed an entire 98 system into my 99 in 2006, changing just the ARC module to a 99-01 module.

First, how does your ARC work, if at all? How is the compressor, because those will die if they run continuously? Air leaks usually are the death of all ARC Explorers, and any old Ford with air shocks or springs.

So I suggest concentrating on the leaks, the compressor should rarely run at all.

I did not know there were any old NOS front shocks to be had, likely that source you found will be the only one ever again. Those NOS shocks are 20+ years old too.

The electrical feature is a minor firmness adjustment it began in the Turbo Coupe of the 80's I believe. It's good for the sports car, trivial for an old technology SUV, truck chassis.

Just install those shocks and leave the connector taped off/sealed/closed. The rears you should do the same thing, replace them now while doing the front. This is assuming you have no air leaks, work on that now, and lubricate the height sensor pivot points. I liked anti-seize for those, but just something which will last a long while. Keep those clean and lubricated, when they wear out the height will vary randomly until the sensors break, and those are obsolete too. Regards,

Yep you beauty all appears to be working fine with the Monroe 40005, few pics I pulled out of the old ones etc for y'all

Cheers!

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 18.jpg