• Register Today It's free!

Bought a Parts Truck

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
Just bought a '99 Explorer XLT parts truck. All I needed was a tail light and the cruise control switches, but I figured it might be useful to have a truck to scam parts from. According to the mechanic, one of the timing chains broke (4.0 OHC). Just out of curiosity, how hard is that to fix? I had thought about pulling the motor just to see what damage there is. What should I look for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did a code check, it's throwing P0301, P0302, P0303, P1131. It turns over no problem, but it rattles pretty hard. It did fire, but I didn't let it run. It's actually a pretty nice truck. It might be worth fixing. 161K miles.

In a word... very.

Step 1 - remove engine from vehicle.

I kinda guessed that. Hmmm.... well, it won't hurt to let it sit for a while till I decide whether to fix it, strip it, or sell it.

I kinda guessed that. Hmmm.... well, it won't hurt to let it sit for a while till I decide whether to fix it, strip it, or sell it.

The big question is did the loose timing chains jump time and cause the valves to smack the pistons? If not, the engine may be able to be repaired by replacing the timing chain components. To do this the engine must be removed from the vehicle to get access to the rear timing chain components. If you can do the repairs yourself it might be worth doing. If you have to pay someone to do the work it quickly exceeds the value of the vehicle, and whoever is doing the work better know what they're doing, or you'll end up with a money pit.

I'll pull the motor and take a peek inside.

If you've got the equipment to pull it, pull it and fix the guides, if it's still a runner, it's got hope.

We'll see when I pull the motor. It's actually a pretty nice truck.

Back