Bouncy ride ove speed bumps . . help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bouncy ride ove speed bumps . . help

nikolz

Reaction score
City, State
Nottingham, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 North Face
I was wondering what the best thing is to do about settling the ride of my 2000 Explorer Northface 4x4?

Help . . :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it stock height? lower? how much lower? these things we need to know before anyone can help you with your problem.

Completely Stock . .

Cheers for the quick response, nobody in the UK knows anything about these vehicles even though they were sold here for about 5 years in RHD.

The vehicle is completely stock, but I would be willing to lower it, change shocks, springs etc if it would make a lot of difference.

The main problem is if you hit a bump, pot hole or speed ramp the vehicle wobbles/judders and just feel generally unstable.

I also need to work in a reasonable budget if possible?!?

Thanks in advance for your help.

as far as speed bumps and potholes..... you would more then likley want a better shock. edlebrock ias are nice shocks, but cost 75 each. second imo is monroe sensatrac shocks, i had those before i lowered it, well i still have them, because i cant find a 4.5 inch drop shock, have to go custom that way.
also you would get far better handling around turns and braking if you replace that thin ass sway bar with a beefier one from explorerexpress.com they have many things for your truck, just becarful dont get the drop kit there, way to expensive for 2 inches.if you lower it it would handle a bit better on the bumps, it wouldnt wobble , but it would be a firmer hit, (less travel in the suspension.) you have any other questions id be glad to help. good luck with your explorer.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Do you have the part numbers for the shocks, or a place I could get them from because I can't find anywhere in the UK to buy edlebrocks from and my Monroe dealer has asked for the part numbers.

How does the self-leveling work, does that mean you need special shocks on the rear?

I will buy them from the US if I can't find them over here as we get ripped of onprices over here.

Thanks again

Chris.

The rear shocks are air but the front are standard type. I don't know the part #s but the USA ones will fit fine. Check all the rubber bushes on the front too. They wear quite quickly and can cause this sort of issue.

Cheers for your help, I've asked my local friendly mechanic to source some shocks for me now and also look at the rubber bushes . . .

On another note if I disconnect the battery does the stereo need it's code when I reconnect ? I purchased the car used and have not idea of the code :(

If you mean the standard Ford radio then yes it will want the code. A dealer can find out the code for you. Or it may be written on it (mine was). Just use the removal tools (two U shaped wires) slip it forward and see.

Back