Brad Bottoms 98 EB V8 AWD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brad Bottoms 98 EB V8 AWD

After excrutiating headaches with the transmission in my Dead Link Removed I decided to get a new Explod... uh, Explorer. So here's what I got:

1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0L V8 4x4 128k:

Aftermarket Stuff:
Hidden Hitch Round Tube Class III Reciever
Ventvisors
Tinted front windows (15%), Windshield (50%), Cargo Windows (5%)
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil/Transmission/Transfer-Case/Diff oil
Flowmaster 50 series with 3" Turndown after Muffler
"EXPLORER" 3rd Brake Light Cover
Explorer Express Rear Sway Bar
Lund Windjammer
Vector 700W 110V power inverter mounted in rear jack area
TYC Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights
Crimestopper 2-way FM remote start
75 sq. ft. Brown Bread Sound Deadener
Aimco Extreme Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors
Optima Yellow Top Battery
265/75-16 Cooper Discoverer S/T
Warrior Shackles
Torsion Twist
Gabriel (VST) Front Shocks, Gabriel Load Carrier Shocks in Rear (have helper coils on them, damn sagging leaves)
Infinity 10VQ Sub powered by a JBL P180.2 Amp and Pioneer HU
Stainless Steel Billet Grill
Crystal Clear Headlights and Corners

Motor:
Blew up the stock motor, sucked a little (ok, a lot) of water in and broke a rod (literally snapped it, pics below) so I decided to rebuild myself since I had some free time before starting my new job. Ended up with a 347 just because. Still needs to be tuned and finshed up, but it sounds badass!

347 Stroker
Eagle Cast 3.400" Crank and 5.4" I-Beam Rods
KB Flat Top Pistons (Approx. 10:1 compression)
Comp Cams Cam 35-514-8 with Comp Cams Dual Springs.
1" FMS Intake Heat Spacer
1.6 FMS Roller Rockers
Torque Monster Headers
255lph TRE Performance Fuel Pump
Taylor 8.2mm Wires
Granatelli 75mm MAS (Probably will switch to 80mm Lightning)
MAC Cold Air Intake
OEM Mustang Aluminum Valve Covers
Stock GT40P and intakes for now (all torque, no top end)
Sniper Special Forces Tuning Software (need wideband O2 first)
Rebuilt and un/reinstalled by me, machine and balancing work by others.

Other Mods:
Manual 4406 T-Case Swap
Front Tow Hooks

'Custom' Bodywork:
-Front Driver's Fender creased up a little from when my wheel fell off doing 70...
-Drivers door dented a little from when the truck fell off the jack and pushed the tire into the door (which was leaning against it... I know, wasn't thinking that day I guess..). I've got a door to replace it with, I just need to paint the bottom gold instead of gray.
-Rear hatch has a nice size dent in it from something. Not really sure where it came from, just was there one day when I went to open the hatch.

Somewhere down the road:
I DID HAVE STUFF HERE.... BUT I CHANGE MY MIND MONTHLY ON WHAT I AM GOING TO DO WITH THIS TRUCK, SO SCREW IT. I'll TELL YA WHAT I PLAN ON DOING TO IT ONCE I PUT THE PARTS ON :p

Attachments

• AirSuspension.jpg
    AirSuspension.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,101
  • lotsa mud.jpg
    lotsa mud.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,691
  • Ooops.jpg
    Ooops.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,676
Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn, that is good picture to show that water/liquid cannot be compressed.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saw the word '347' and it caught my eye ;)

Nice beast, Brad! Coupla '?' if you don't mind.. Did you rebuild the stock block with a stroker kit or was this engine outta something else? Have any issues with drivability/reliabilty? What size injectors ya runnin'? Did you do any modifying to the stock computer (if it is a stock computer)? Are you still using the stock intakes? 4r70w holding up to the engine's power ok?

I've heard equal arguments on whether it's okay or 'not a good idea' to run a 347 as a DD, I'm just doing my homework and asking someone in the know. Thanks!

Spas said:
Saw the word '347' and it caught my eye ;)

Nice beast, Brad! Coupla '?' if you don't mind.. Did you rebuild the stock block with a stroker kit or was this engine outta something else? Have any issues with drivability/reliabilty? What size injectors ya runnin'? Did you do any modifying to the stock computer (if it is a stock computer)? Are you still using the stock intakes? 4r70w holding up to the engine's power ok?

I've heard equal arguments on whether it's okay or 'not a good idea' to run a 347 as a DD, I'm just doing my homework and asking someone in the know. Thanks!

I can't comment a whole lot on the DD part. I drove the truck for about 3 months then bought my Sport Trac and it hasn't seen much action since. for the 3 months that I drove it it worked just fine. I didn't flog it a lot though and a lot of it was highway miles. It does run fine enough to be a DD though and I have no problem driving it around town. It does die everyonce in a while shifting from drive to reverse (no computer tune and a cam) but its nothing you can't learn to live with by giving it a little gas when shifting.

I never got the engine properly tuned. It is still runnning the stock computer, electronics and fuel pump. I need to finish my 4406 swap so I can have 2wd and get it dyno tuned. Before I get it tuned I need to put in a bigger fuel pump and new O2 sensors. I am also considering Torque Monster Headers as well before the tune. I would rather do it all at once if I can since I have another DD now. When my tax return comes back I will probably get started on it.

I am still running the stock intake and heads. I don't plan on adding a supercharger or anythign like that and I want to keep my powerband as low as possible so I probably won't change anything. I might get everything ported/polished/etc but thats probably about it.

It is running 24 lb injectors, which I hope will be enough once I get the new fuel pump and with the adjustable regulator. I was kind of on a tight budget when I built this and didn't get everything I wanted right away.

I also need a shift kit. The stock tranny should be able to hold this motor easy with a good shift kit. I've been pretty wasy on it since the new motor as I don't want to blow the tranny before I get the kit in.

I've got a lot to do before its done, but it is very drivable as is. I am definately going to get everything done by this summer and next year comes the long travel suspension build :D

Basically, as long as you get everything tuned right, you shouldn't have any problem running a 347 as a DD. You can't expect the kind of mileage out of it that you could out of a 302 (cylinder walls wear faster) but that is usually the case with any performance motor.

i was wonderin why it was riding so low...didnt know there was THAT much mud on it

I Have the Exact same model and Color...

But I was wondering If you knew of any way to lift it so I can put some bigger tires on...? I've looked everywhere for a lift, body lift, or suspension lift kit for a 98' AWD Eddie Bauer Explorer and I can't find anything. If you know of anything just leave me a reply. Thanks and enjoy your ride.

Holy fawking newbie man! Wrong thread, wrong place. Use the search.

[QUOTE='97 V8]Any updates?[/QUOTE]

No updates yet, I'm in the process of moving back to Kentucky from St. Louis and buying a house so the Explorer has been sitting for 3 months with only a couple starts. I've been driving my Trac a lot. Once I get into my new house and get settled though, I'll finally have a garage again so the Explorer will be one of the first projects I get started on!

Hey what did you do to balance the 347 since it's a 28 oz and the 302 is a 50 oz balance?

Do I still have the ONLY 347 in an Explorer-Mounty?

BTW
You don't need a dyno for tuning--

get ahold of jah81592

Hello?----hello?---hello?--hello?

is that an echo?

Nope, mine is a 347 and has been for 2 years and 1 month now, it just hasn't gone very far yet :D

Right after I built the motor and dropped it in I moved to St. Louis, then I had a new job and real bills and what not, then I bought the Sport Trac which became my DD, then last summer I moved back to Kentucky and bought a house so there went that money, then I had some other stuff to pay off, then some stuff more urgent on the house then on the Explorer. So basically, I'm just now getting to finish everything up that I started.

I'm in the process, as of Saturday, of swapping in a 4406 case and putting in a 255lph fuel pump. Then I've got to pull the intake and valve covers, adjust the rockers (they're tapping a little bit), install my phenolic spacer, new valve covers and Taylor wires. I just posted on a for sale thread of danlong's for a set of Torque Monsters and a MAC intake, so hopefully I'll have those soon. Then all I need is a wideband O2 and I've already got the tuning software.

What can jah81592 do for me for tuning?

Give me a couple months and I'll be there :)

Hey what did you do to balance the 347 since it's a 28 oz and the 302 is a 50 oz balance?

Sorry, I missed this somehow before. For the balance I ended up using a flywheel from a I think a 94-95 mustang (the last of the 5.0s). It was the same size/teeth as the Explorer flywheel but set up for a 28 oz balance instead of 50.

Brad
Do you remember where you got your harmonic balancer-crank pulley?
That aslo needs to be a 28 oz for a stroker kit-
Some are having a hard time finding it, and believe ot or not-the place I bought mine from has no recollection of it--

BTW
I think we are both in about the same spot--lol

:cool: :cool:

I'm using the stock harmonic balancer. The first time I took everything to the shop to get balanced the guy called me back and said it wouldn't work because not everything matched up. Thats when we decided to use the mustang flywheel. He ended up getting everything to balance out. If I remember correctly (its been over 2 years now) he said he had to take quite a bit out of the crank to get it to balance out with everything but it did. I don't have any bad vibrations out of the motor so whatever he did must have worked.

This kind of makes sense--
It seems if the stock balancer is balanced for 50 oz, some material could be removed for a 28 oz balance--
I'm not a machine shop guy by any means-but my engine builder also needed to modify the recommended bobwieght.

Hey--what are your Cam specs?
Compression ratio?

Its a Comp Cams 35-514-8. I talked to one of the guys at Comp Cams and told them what I was doing and this was one of the cams they recommended. They recommended another slightly hotter cam but I went with this one because I'm more likely to lift and/or tow then to drag and/or street.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=35-514-8

I never calc'd the compression ratio exactly, but I believe its somewhere between 10 and 10.5. I've got stock GT-40Ps for heads and flat top pistons. Any idea what the CCs for the GT-40P is?

Hmmm... I think I need 35s on the Eddie.... now, making them fit with just a body lift and TT?? Yeah, prolly not. (This is the spare from my Trac)

Attachments

• Stuff.JPG
    Stuff.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 363
  • BigTires.JPG
    BigTires.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 380

Back