USMCBuckWild

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Camp LeJeune, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
**** Update 2****

I ordered the Russell 693270 kit as it appeared to be closest to our brake systems. Upon arrival and mock-up I have found the following:

The passenger front (labeled) fits the passenger rear perfectly and vice versa

The driver side has odd connectors on both front and rear. While the lines appear to be correct length routing, the top connectors don't work. The front has a barrel connector which can possibly be modded. The rear has a 4 way junction as the top of the hose. I am willing to bet I can make a 4 way junction but a 1-off solution doesn't help the masses.

The search continues!!

I know it has been touched on before; but has anyone come to a final conclusion on if there is a manufacturer for braided stainless lines for our trucks?

I have upgraded to braided stainless on the majority of my previous vehicles and the improvement in brake feel, pressure and overall performance is second to none. Coupled with good pads and properly lubed slide pins the upgrades make the brakes outstanding.

****Update****

Bought the 99-04 Cobra braided lines. The 'front' lines fit the rear but you need to make some mods to fit the bracket. The 'rear' can be made to fit the front but appear too short. I have stock suspension and the entire assembly is about 2" shorter than stock hoses.

PS: the pics are NOT representatives of actual products. Ask me how I know...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have done many google searches and have not found anything for the 4th gen. Possibly a custom set can be made but I dont know.

Please do, I have never upgraded a brake system before, and am planning to run some premium pads and rotors, and would love to try the braided brake lines.

Will order tonight and see how it goes.

I checked pics of the OE hoses on the NAPA website the other day...it looks like the banjo end is not a straight shot on the front or the rear, but still may work. They both also come with a bracket attached to the other end, so there may need to be some minor fabrication there.

Left front...

1072244.jpg

Left rear...

1072243.jpg

Left front...

1072244.jpg

Left rear...

1072243.jpg

I looked at that as well. I was a tually comparing Expedition and Explorer brake lines and hoses and apparently none of them are anywhere close to compatible. I was hoping it would be a simple cross-reference to another body style and WHOLLAH! It would fit. But, nothing seems to swap in. Which makes me wonder about those Exploders that are lifted. What do they do for extended lines? Custom?

What about Mustang hoses?...

image_44.jpeg

I'm sure we can make something work with the Mustang ones...unfortunately, I have a few mods on the list before those, so I won't be able to mess around with them for a while.

Not going to lie; I didn't consider Mustang hoses. They actually look pretty close.

Did you pick a specific year? IRS Cobra?

I just Googled 'mustang braided brake lines'...I figured there would be a ton, and there was.

The pics I posted are from '05-'09 Mustang.

I ordered 99-04 Mustang brake lines. Look the closest. When they come in, we'll see

Excited to see results

When they come in i'm going to take a trip to Autozone/Advanced and check against stock Exploder lines and see what we come up with.

Now that I think about it, I probably should have done that 1st; check 06-10 Exploder lines against a bunch of others. Oh well; stupid hurts.

The '99-'04 ones do look pretty good!...hopefully you can make them work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update****

Bought the 99-04 Cobra braided lines. The 'front' lines fit the rear but you need to make some mods to fit the bracket. The 'rear' can be made to fit the front but appear too short. I have stock suspension and the entire assembly is about 2" shorter than stock hoses.

PS: the pics are NOT representatives of actual products. Ask me how I know....

Back