• Register Today It's free!

Brake caliper issues?

Titan09

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport 4x4
Okay, I just got my new-to-me X today, and it was a pretty good deal, save one problem. As we drove it home, it would pull slightly to one side or the other as it was going down the road, but it would only happen intermittently. It would pull to the left, straighten back out, then pull to the right, etc. After driving it down the interstate for about 30 miles, I also noticed that the vehicle wouldn't stop in a straight line - it would veer slightly before straightening out and coming to a stop. My step dad recently had the same issue on his Mustang - one of the brakes was dragging, creating an effect similar to what happened today with my Explorer, and it ended up being a bad caliper.

When we got home with the Explorer, I decided to check and see if one of the brakes was running hotter than the other three. It didn't take long to find out which one was doing just that, as there was smoke rolling out from the front passenger side wheel well. As such, my mind went right to bad caliper again, because it's eerily similar to what happened with my step dad's Mustang. Has anyone had similar issues? I know this probably seems like a novice question, but, well...I am a novice :).

I haven't gotten a chance to inspect it quite yet. I plan on doing that in the morning, but what are the chances that a bad caliper is the culprit? And will all I need to do is replace the caliper, so long as the brake pads are still in good shape and there isn't any damage to the rotor? Where's a good deal on new brake calipers? I found them at Advance Auto Parts for anywhere from $20-$40.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless the caliper is damaged or leaking, you are most likely looking at a sticking slide pin they use instead of caliper bolts. may just need cleaned and lubed.

...When you jack it up keep an eye on the tire and see if it droops...After you jack it up, put your hands on the tire at 12 and 6...Try to wobble it back and forth...Then pull the tire and check your spindle nut...

..My thinking is you might have a loose wheel bearing and the symptoms you describe sound like a result of that...:dunno:

Your problem could also be a collapsed flexible brake line on that side. This gives you the same symptoms as a stuck caliper.

Well, after looking at the paper-thin brake pads, I think that's what was causing the smoking..So of course I'm going to replace all of the brake pads (figured it would be a good idea to just replace all of them - if one's that bad, the other three are probably the same way). As for the brake sticking on the front passenger side, I think that the caliper is probably the culprit. With the brake line, it seems to be okay, but the caliper doesn't look to be in too great of shape, so I'll just replace that too and we'll see what happens when I try to drive it after that.

Welcome to the forum!

Especially since this truck is new to you...

For the relative cost of these parts vs. doing the job twice...

Replace the pads, as well as both calipers, flex lines, rotors, bearings and all slide pins.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back