• Register Today It's free!

brake clunk

newbi

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
94 sport, new wheel bearings,rotor,calipers,pads,RA bushings and tie rod ends(within 10k). Stops /rolls well, just has a clunk when I step on the brake. Not always, just occasionally. Thinking it may be calipers not sliding on bracket. Any ideas? Thanks..

Check the bolts, I had a similar issue where the bolts that hold the whole brake assemly were loose. It allowed it to pivot a bit when i hit the brakes.

I've had a clunk that I have been chasing for a while. I finally found mine.

On our '92 the front slipjoint (front drive shaft) boot was ripped. I took the driveshaft out (was doing something else, and it had to be removed) and noticed that it wasn't easy to move the 2 pieces. I then got a universal rack/pinion boot, cut it to fit and cleaned/greased the joint. Now when I brake I don't feel the clunk.

I was feeling the clunk not when I hit the brakes, but when I got off the brakes and hit the throttle again, but it seemed to only happen if I brakes somewhat hard. (not really hard, but it didn't seem to do it on a slow stop)

~Mark

yeah definitely check the bolts holding the caliper bracket plate (the bracket that holds the caliper and that bolts into the spindle). i had on unscrew itself and my whole caliper assembly would slam forward into the spindle. yeah you could sure feel that! it happened after a brake job.

does it only do this if you brake hard? any if you gun it? if so, it could very well be what maniak says. that is relatively common.

Back