• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller install

stealth1

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Jackson, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have a 97 X with the 4.0 and no towing pkg. How hard is it to hook up a controller? I understand that x's having a towing package have a place already for the controller. Though I dont have a towing package do I still have a place to hook up the brake control? Another question. If I use a weight dis. hitch do I still need to upgrade the rear shocks? I'll be pulling a 21' TT.

I have a electric controller in the RangePloder. It is very similar to your 97x. I am using a Hoppy 7pin RV and flat 4 wire on the reciever.

For the controller you will need ground, brake light, 12V+ and the Brake wire that goes to the trailer. I didn't see any factory wire for the brake controller when i was under the dash but I might have missed it.

The wiring is simple. I ran wires from the battery to the controller and through the vehicle to the hitch. It was easy but required removal of a few trim panels and getting under the truck. Total time was around 4 hours. The only factory wiring I used was the 4 wire connector at the hitch for trailer signal lighting.

I'm not sure about the WD hitch but think you might want to supplement the rear suspension with additional springs/air.

Good luck.

Back