• Register Today It's free!

brake dust shield fasteners

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I may need to replace the fasteners for my brake dust shields. These are a strange combination of push in fastener and low profile self tapping hex bolt. Here are two pictures,

brake_dust_shield_fastener_01a.jpg

brake_dust_shield_fastener_02a.jpg

Sorry for the somewhat blurry images, I couldn't get my camera to focus well up close. The hex head is 1/2" across and only about 0.09" tall. The diameter of the shaft is 0.2" inside the knurling and 0.232" outside the knurling, the length of the shaft is 0.4". This is a bit odd since everything else on this truck is metric. It looks like there was some red thread lock on there.

Once upon a time I seem to remember seeing a part diagram at a ford parts site that showed these fasteners and gave the part number. I can't find it now. The brake diagrams I can find now show the shield but not the fasteners.

I will likely need something similar since I seriously doubt I will be able to find the original part. If I can't find something similar, I would probably have to tap the holes to use a machine screw. I would rather not do that.

Suggestions would be appreciated,

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

W701950-S100

Thanks, using that part number I managed to find the part listing I had seen before and lost.

Blind Rivet ($0.86)

As usual, these range up to almost $8 each but there are several listings for under $1. The picture looks nothing like the actual part but this is definitely the part I was looking at before.

LMHmedchem

Thanks, using that part number I managed to find the part listing I had seen before and lost.

Blind Rivet ($0.86)

As usual, these range up to almost $8 each but there are several listings for under $1. The picture looks nothing like the actual part but this is definitely the part I was looking at before.

LMHmedchem
I'm currently researching this. I used that part #, W701950-S100 and found some on ebay, but they look like a rivet, not like the 1st post pictures.

Here are the ebay pic and they include the Ford bag which has W701950-S100 on it, so I don't understand this discrepancy:

Anyway, LMHmedchem's link shows it is now discontinued, anyone know of a source for the bolt-things pictured in post #1 or an alternate part #?
OR am I misunderstanding and the situation is that since the post #1 bolt-things aren't available, the work-around is to use these rivets instead?

bag label.jpg

rivet.jpg

I didn't buy these because the stick figure picture at the Ford site looked like the rivets you posted and not like the OE push pins.

My dust shields were so roached that I ended up getting a pair of used knuckles from ebay. They were about $50 each and had intact dust shields with only a little surface rust. I removed the shields buy tapping out the push pins with a nail set from the back side of the knuckle. Don't try to spin them out with a socket, you will just break off the heads.

After removal, I ground off the bit of rust and all the paint with a wire brush wheel, etched them, and gave them 3 coats of POR-15. I re-used the push pins to re-install them and added some blue thread locker. I also poured in some thread locker through the hole on the back side. They seem secure enough. I was going to fabricate some new dust shields but I was able to get these used ones at a reasonable price and so went that way.

I would probably consider taping the holes and using a low profile/ultra low profile hex bolt that is either 316 marine stainless steel or mild steel with a good anti-corrosion coating.

Something like this,
25x M5-0.8mmx10mm Super-Corrosion-Resistant 316 Stainless Steel Low-Profile Socket Head Screw ($7.78)

NOTE: I have no idea if the above screw is the correct size or not, this is just an example of something similar to what you would need. You would have to measure the diameter of the current hole and then pick a tap that is the next size larger. That would let you know what size and threading of tap and bolt you would need. I think you would want at least 10mm length but it could be twice that given the depth of the mount holes. You may or may not need to drill out the holes before tapping. It depends on how the sizes work out.

The ultra low profile version of the above bolt are about $4 each, instead of 25 for $8. The regular low profile have a head that is 3.5mm high which should be fine given the clearance, but it never hurts to measure again. Tapping aluminum is not terribly difficult, but ask questions if you want to go this route and haven't done it before. I don't think it would be much easier with the knuckle off of the truck if that makes a difference.

There are probably some options for self-tapping screws as well. I you can find one that is just a bit larger than the hole then you would likely have no problem driving it into the aluminum. I'm sure it would stay just as well as a push pin.

I don't see why a rivet wouldn't work for this application but you would have to be sure that it is the correct size for the hole. Maybe they changed from the push pins to rivets at some point. I don't know why the pictured rivet has a threaded end. Maybe there is a different kind of tool for for installing these (different from a pop rivet gun).

LMHmedchem

Back