• Register Today It's free!

Brake Fluid Leak

72Fins1

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Eddie
I was driving my 1991 Ford Explorer and hit my brakes and heard a rip and a slurping sound and when I got out to look under it there was brake fluid all over the driver's side frame rail in the front. There's a brake line that bolts into it and goes to the back and the part it bolts into had brake fluid all over it. I was told it separates the front brakes from the back but I don't know what it's called and I don't know what size the fitting on the brake line is so I don't know what size tubing wrench to and part to get. Is there anybody who can please help me out with any information on this and how to remove it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brake line is 3/16", as for the fittings; they are 3/16" (hole for the brake line) 3/8" outer dimension of hex sides, so that you would use a 3/8" wrench to tighten them.

There is a valve block on the frame in that area, for the rear ABS. The supply line to it probably burst.

So do I need to replace the line or the valve block?

replace the line and bleed the system

Actually found out that is the proportioning valve that's leaking. I accidentally filled it up with a little too much fluid but after starting it up and pumping the pedal a few times it started sqirting fluid out of the valve.

You can by-pass the block with a new brake line. The rear ABS really is useless. I have by-passed this on several of my trucks, the brakes work no different without it. Its just that in a panic stop, the rear will not pulse when the system activates. Its up to you, the fronts do most of the braking anyway.

Back