Brake Grinding & Brake Lights Do not work unless Completely Depressed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Grinding & Brake Lights Do not work unless Completely Depressed

TToTheB

Reaction score
City, State
Manassas, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT.

#1 - While applying the brake, when I slow down to around 20 mph. I hear Noise/grinding and feel Vibrations on the brake pedal. About 3 months ago my ABS light came on and was flashing. I checked the fluids which were at the proper levels and have not seen the light since.

#2 - While Driving from a Restaurant a few days ago. A friend told me that my passenger side brake light was out. I checked them that night and not only was the brake light out but the remaining brake lights would not come on unless I pushed the pedal down to the floor board. I replaced the light and still have the issue with depressing the brake pedal. I am considering replacing the brake light switch, but I am not sure if the problem is deeper than that or somehow related to the first problem.

A friend also suggested it may possibly have something to do with the rear diff.

Having some problems are ya? When you press the brakes and feel vibration/grinding, you may have warped rotors and shot pads. As far as the brake lights, I'm not sure.

Back