• Register Today It's free!

Brake Job Questions

Dave S

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, South Carolina/ Charlotte.....home of Nascar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD
I need to do a brake job on my 2000 AWD Explorer. It has about 65,000 miles on it and this will be the first time I have done anything to the brakes. I need a few opinions and any other advice you care to offer.

First of all the brakes are still in good working order. I don't have any noticable rotor run out (wobble) and no pulling or grabbing. What if I just install new pads at this point? Or, do you think I should get new rotors or just turn the old? Do you think I should install rebuilt calipers? Have any of you experienced problems with the old calipers after instaling new pads? (I know some caliper pistons tend to get a bit messed up behind the rubber boots so if you push the pistons in for the new pads, sometimes they will leak or even jam up later.) What brand of pads do you recommend?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the rotors look good on inspection, I would just replace the pads.

Good luck .......

I agree, I would just replace the pads at this point, unless you have reason to believe the rotors are warped (like if you get vibration when braking).

Also, you can re-use your existing calipers, as long as they are not seized, leaking, or cracking. I still have the original calipers on my 1994 truck...

I just did the brakes on my 2001. Ceramic pads all around, did not replace or turn rotors...it stops great and ZERO brake dust.

I wouldn't cut the rotors, replace or leave 'em. I've read they warp way easier so basically its money throw away, just what I've read ;)

turning rotors make them warp easier???? as oppose to worn down rotors with uneven braking surface that could prematurely eat away at your pads? what????

Dave, be sure to use caliper slide grease on the slides, and on the caliper attachment bolts (that the caliper floats on).

My 2000 Sport had a frozen caliper bolt at only 40K miles, which I suspect was from having no grease from the factory. It was causing the pads to wear on only one side, and was a bear to get out.....

Thanks everyone. I will replace the pads at this point based on all your comments and stick with the current rotors. I am really impressed with the condition of my rotors. They look almost brand new. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had essentially "perfect" rotors with this type of mileage on them. I guess Ford engineered them pretty good.....a lot better than Chevy engineered the ones on my Camaro which went bad at around 20K miles :thumbdwn: ....and that's after babying them and always using a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts too.

So, are ceramic pads the way to go then?

Back