• Register Today It's free!

Brake Job

victorysail

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XL SOHC 4X4
I have my Ex since 1997, and still have the original brake rotors and pads.
It has 120,600Km (78,120miles) on it. I use the brakes sparingly.....I am one of those who coast to a red light. Now she sits in the garage most of the time. I do not drive to work anymore.
So far everything seems fine, no screeching noise, the pedal feels a bit low, but the Ex stops OK. :ca:
Before I take her for a long trip in August, I may want to have the brake pads replaced. Also want to check how far the rotors have wore down before I take it to the shop.
What is the acceptable thickness of the rotor before a replacement is required?
Should the brake fluid be replaced while I have the brake job done?
Thanks.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have always done my own brakes. Only once did I need to have my rotors resurfaced.

There is usually no need to change the brake fluid (as long as it's clean)-if you've topped it off you'll have excess fluid in your reservoir--make sure not to contaminate it if you siphon it off.

Hmmm, that's interesting. I knew that hydraulic fluid could break down but hadn't heard about the effects of moisture on braking performance. I guess I'll have to change it and see...

Hmmm, that's interesting. I knew that hydraulic fluid could break down but hadn't heard about the effects of moisture on braking performance. I guess I'll have to change it and see...

Moisture is one of the major enemies of brake fluid.

it has to pull air in has the pads where but if the rubber badder is under the cap it should keep mosture out. don't open the cap unless you need to is the best at keeping the fluid good

minimume thickness

I have my Ex since 1997, and still have the original brake rotors and pads.
It has 120,600Km (78,120miles) on it. I use the brakes sparingly.....I am one of those who coast to a red light. Now she sits in the garage most of the time. I do not drive to work anymore.
So far everything seems fine, no screeching noise, the pedal feels a bit low, but the Ex stops OK. :ca:
Before I take her for a long trip in August, I may want to have the brake pads replaced. Also want to check how far the rotors have wore down before I take it to the shop.
What is the acceptable thickness of the rotor before a replacement is required?
Should the brake fluid be replaced while I have the brake job done?
Thanks.......

On the back inside or outside hub there should be stamped into the metal, a minimum thickness number you should see,
as for fluid -every two years you should bleed. Ahem, yes moisture can get sucked into the brake fluid causing contamination and eventually deposits. ( find an old car and run your finger inside the master and see what comes off.) Also they inspect the brake lines to see if any road damage could cause a problem down the line. Make sure you ask for the inspection of the brake system. Luck to you and yours.

Back