brake light fuse keeps blowing, think its my remote start, help please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brake light fuse keeps blowing, think its my remote start, help please!

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
Ok, we all know that the fuse that controls the brake lights also control the hazard lights, and the cruise control interupt. well, since i have installed my remote start, my fuse keeps blowing after a while. this is my 4th fuse im on. what the thing is, is there is a brake wire comming off the alarm (remote start) brain, that splices into the green brake wire on the brake switch. that way, when you remote start, and the brake is pushed, the start interupt engages, and kills the engine (with the key in the off position). what could be causing my fuse to keep blowing? this last time, i havent even used the remote start, and it blew. i cant seem to find out whats wrong. by the way i have a sindwinder 6500 esp alarm, and a 92 auto. thanks!

Did you have a professional install it? If so, is there a warranty?

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

ya, i installed it myself. where could the extra amerage comming from?

disconnect the wire coming off the remote start "brain" and see if it's outputting any voltage or current when the system is used.

Or what it may be is that when a parallel leg is added to a circuit, the effective overall resistance of the circuit drops. Therefore the current flow increases. This could be the root of your problem. Check the resistance from the disconnected end of the brake remote start wire to ground, and that of the brake light system downstream of where it's spliced into. If that of the light system is much higher (which it will be), maybe stick a resistor into the circuit going to the brain.

Back