• Register Today It's free!

Brake light on dash issue

lectrcman

Reaction score
City, State
League City, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac
The brake light on the dash does not come on when the ignition is turned on (the other lights come on and go off for the initial checks) or when the emergency brake is set. The light does come on when the brake fluid is low. I have previously changed the bulb and checked the parking brake switch. It is good. I get full continuity to ground when I check the wire. Whats up with this thing? Its an '02 Sport Trac with 92000 miles.
Thanks

Brake System

The red brake warning light (BRAKE) is used to indicate a low fluid level, brake malfunction or a parking brake that is not fully released. The brake fluid level switch is located in the brake fluid reservoir.

The yellow brake warning indicator is used to indicate a malfunction or deactivation of the anti-lock brake system (ABS). It illuminates when triggered by the ABS control module and stays illuminated as long as the malfunction remains in the system.

Your issue is with the RED light, correct?

Symptom:The red brake warning indicator is inoperative
Possible causes:
Circuitry.
Red brake warning indicator bulb.
Parking brake switch.
Brake fluid level sensor.
Instrument cluster printed circuit.

The parking brake switch is separate and may not be grounding properly. If you check the wire to ground you WILL get continuity. The little spring loaded plunger is what's completing that circuit. And check the plug at the fluid reservoir.

ScreenHunter_01Aug152049.gif

ScreenHunter_02Aug152050.gif

Back