Brake lights staying on after shutdown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake lights staying on after shutdown

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
So, this has now happened at least four times to me intermittently.

I shutdown the car, exit, and then notice that the brake lights are still on! All it takes to fix it is to tap the brake pedal ever so slightly and the lights turn off.

I took it to the dealer and they tried to reproduce a few times, checked for TSBs and then told me there is nothing they can do. I even had a video of the problem. Not happy about the dealership's effort on this one - normally they are great, but this time, not so much.

Anyone else have this issue?

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I'm guessing it's just a faulty switch or something that needs a bit of grease, but I honestly have no clue as I'm not a car "guy."

It's not a serious problem right now, but I'm afraid I'm not going to notice it and the battery is going to die.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I shutdown the car, exit, and then notice that the brake lights are still on! All it takes to fix it is to tap the brake pedal ever so slightly and the lights turn off.

I took it to the dealer and they tried to reproduce a few times, checked for TSBs and then told me there is nothing they can do. I even had a video of the problem. Not happy about the dealership's effort on this one - normally they are great, but this time, not so much.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I'm guessing it's just a faulty switch or something that needs a bit of grease, but I honestly have no clue as I'm not a car "guy."

It's not a serious problem right now, but I'm afraid I'm not going to notice it and the battery is going to die.
It may not seem like a serious problem but I would guess that there may also be times when the brake lights are on while you are driving after making a stop. It sounds like something isn't switching off. I'm not that much of a 'car guy' also so I don't know if it could be a sticking relay switch.
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with shutting the ignition off.

Peter

It may not seem like a serious problem but I would guess that there may also be times when the brake lights are on while you are driving after making a stop. It sounds like something isn't switching off. I'm not that much of a 'car guy' also so I don't know if it could be a sticking relay switch.
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with shutting the ignition off.

Peter

yeah, that's true, didn't think about in traffic.... ugh.

Hi jrmexplorer,

I want to look into this for you and check out some options. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Just to follow up with this in case someone else finds this issue, the dealership ended up replicating it after I brought it in (while I was there). They ended up replacing the brake switch. I'm guessing that will fix it, but I will be on the lookout to make sure it does.

They also ended up replacing the battery as I noticed some fluid leaking out of it during the walk around inspection.

Just to follow up with this in case someone else finds this issue, the dealership ended up replicating it after I brought it in (while I was there). They ended up replacing the brake switch. I'm guessing that will fix it, but I will be on the lookout to make sure it does.

They also ended up replacing the battery as I noticed some fluid leaking out of it during the walk around inspection.

Thanks for the update, jrmexplorer. If you need my assistance in the future, you know where to find me. :)

Crystal

Back