Brake line fittings into the ABS HCU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake line fittings into the ABS HCU

sheky

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Need ro replace front brake lines, anyone know the specs for the fitting into the ABS HCU? Is it just a regular flared tube?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need ro replace front brake lines, anyone know the specs for the fitting into the ABS HCU? Is it just a regular flared tube?

Thanks

The Front brake lines are Metric 3/16" lines with Metric bouble flare fittings @ the HCU, with Std fittings with Double flares @ the Coil bucks. As such you need to make a hybrid line. You can get a metric 3/16" line @ the parts store, cut off one metric fitting, install a std fitting and then make a std flair fitting.

Important: I would save all fittings (especially @ the HCU) as you may need to re-use them (I had to)

BTW If you have 4WABS the rear line is 100% std fittings (with double flares) from the HCU all the way back.

Thank You, I was having a difficult time finding this information

Thank You, I was having a difficult time finding this information

You're welcome.. as mentioned I had to get a metric 3/16" line.. cut off one end, and then re-use the old metric fitting on the bouble flare end, and insert a std fitting on the cut end.. i then made the std double flare and was good to go.. Trying to make a std line fit will be a pita as metric bouble flare tools are $$$ and hard to come by, whereas everyone has the std double flare tools..

Also when using the tool practice on some old line to get the feel for making them.. It took me a dozen tries to figure out (cheap $20 loaner tool from autoparts store). More expensive flaring tools are easier to use and yield good results with little effort.

Back