• Register Today It's free!

Brake line rubbing on shock

Car-Dog

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4
Hi a couple of months ago I put new shocks on my truck. And yesterday I decided to go under and check to make sure all the nuts were tight and nothing was rubbing. When I checked the rear passenger side i noticed that my brake line has been rubbing on the back of the shock. now I don't know what I did wrong or where the brake line is supposed to be, And what I need to do to fix it.

Here is a pic

shockrubbing.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be a formed wire clip that holds the e-brake cable to the U-bolt on the passenger side. I'll bet yours is gone or disconnected on one end.

On the left side of this photo, you can see the hook-shaped cable clip. It was inadvertently left off of the U-bolt (by me!) after doing some suspension work. It should be clipped on the forward leg of the inboard U-bolt on the PS of the axle.

p-brake_clip.jpg

I went out and looked and if that clip was missing would I be able to see like an empty spot or something? because I went out and looked and everything looks like it is there. But the only clip I see that is on the brake line is on the very top of the rear diff? Is there supposed to be another clip? And what do you mean by PS of the axle? Thanks for your help.

I don't know if mine ever had that clip, but my cable has beening rubbing the shock just like that for as long as I can remember!

Ok, so i guess it isn't something i should be worried about. I am still curious if there is supposed to be a clip or not though?

PS= passenger side. You can order a new clip at any Ford dealer. It just hooks onto the the U-bolt and the e-brake cable so there may not be a clear mark where it was.

You can see the wire clip in this photo.

Attachments

• swap done 012 (Small).jpg
    swap done 012 (Small).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,063

AAHHHH I get it. Ill go to dealer and see if I can pick one of those up. Really appreciate your time and input. THANKS!

Looks like something a ziptie could handle. ;)

Good Idea. Now why didn't I think of that:banghead:

Ok, so I went to my local Ford dealer and they could not find that clip! I even had the guy check several different years and models, but no clip. Any chance you could find a part number? Right now I just have it ziptied out of the way, but I am a big fan of fixing things properly if at all possible.
Thx

bend a wire hanger the same shape as in the photo ,

problem solved,,

Back