• Register Today It's free!

brake master cylinder replacement

xlt1993

Reaction score
City, State
western maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
As some of you may know from my previous post that I was taking my explorer to the shop to have it looked at. Well after dealing with the shop I decided to bring it home until I had the money to have it fixed. Anyway when I picked up my explorer I started on way home and when I hit the brakes pedal went to the floor and barely yet gradually slowed down. So I limped it home and checked the brake fluid. Fluid was full so I'm not leaking brake fluid which tells me that my master cylinder is gone. While reading my repair manual is states that "master cylinder replacement can't be done by the home mechanic and must be done by a qualified shop or other service center. As the procedure to properly bleed the abs system is impossible for the home mechanic to do." The part is only $45 but how does one "properly" bleed the abs system. Does anyone have some light they can shed on this for me? As always any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have 4 wheel abs on our X, plus It hasn't worked for years (wheeling rig now).. BUT From what I remember reading on here (and what I would do)...

When you replace the MC, make sure you bench bleed it.

To keep from pushing air into the ABS system, bleed the system where the lines go into the ABS before you bleed the rest of the system...

If you get air in the ABS valve, this thread has a trick to bleed the ABS...

Post #2 in this thread : http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409158&highlight=bleed+abs

Hopefully that helps some...

~Mark

Would it be possible to backwards bleed the front brakes? Meaning bench bleed the mc and install as normal, then remove the front tire and rotor and using a c-clamp push the piston back into the caliper there by forcing the fluid back into the reserve and pushing the air from the front front brake out and theoretically the air would simply and harmlessly float to the top and there by filling the line with fluid
would this work? Does anyone know. Haven't thought of anything for the back brakes as of yet.

Not sure your technique will help at all and it sounds like more work then it is worth.

Bench bled the MC, its easy. Then install it. Then bleed as usual, but start from the drivers side front first. Tapping the RABS module while bleeding the brakes will help. Getting air in there is a pain to remove and this is the only way to do it without that tool. Take your time and exercise patience as this task can test it. IT may take several rounds of bleeding to firm up your brakes, but it will work.

Sounds like if I get the money with in the next week or so I will be buying a new master cylinder for my brakes and doing the bleeding as described. I looked at the link above and since I don't have an "old" rotor laying around that method is out and I will have to follow the other method of tapping on the abs module to do this task. I just hope its nice out and that I can find some help lol. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. If anyone else has anything they would like to add as always I'm all ears as they say. Thanks again, Bill

Back