• Register Today It's free!

Brake Master Cylinder

kdsmith120

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
Hey guys I am new to the forum, but have owned my 2003 sport trac for a couple of years. After I turned 135,000 miles I started having to replace a significant number of parts. Right now I am having a brake issue. My ABS light is coming on in the car and I know I need to swap out the pads and rotors this weekend, but I think I might need to replace the master cylinder as well.. I am losing pressure and getting a grinding when I near a stop. It was a scary moment last weekend when this happened with boat trailer on the back.

I am going to change the master cylinder, but I was curious to know if you guys have bench bled this system before? I am somewhat mechanically savy, but how easy is the install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your pads are probably so bad that you have metal grinding on metal when you hit the brakes. Is the master cylinder leaking at all?

how easy is the install?

Physically difficult. I haven't done it myself on the ST but did numerous times on my '69 Cougar and after reading gmanpaint's adventures with this in his thread titled "The Black Hole," it sounds about like what I had to go through.

try replacing the pads and bleeding any air out of the lines before you go to the trouble of replacing the master cylinder. it also sounds to me that your pads are pretty much gone and thats whats causign the slack in the pedal and the grinding.

try replacing the pads and bleeding any air out of the lines before you go to the trouble of replacing the master cylinder. It also sounds to me that your pads are pretty much gone and thats whats causign the slack in the pedal and the grinding.

+1

Your abs light is on probably cause of lack of proper maintenance. If you are getting a grinding near a stop, you are most likely metal on metal, as stated. But it could also be causing your abs sensor damage, which would throw your abs light on...

SVT

Thanks for the input guys. The pads were low and the rotors had deep grooves. Changed both and still have some softness in the brake pedal. There is not any visible fluid leaking out of the master cylinder, I have traced the lines and do not see any static leaks. I have a new master cylinder that I plan on putting on next weekend. Either way the vehicle drives better and I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks for the input guys. The pads were low and the rotors had deep grooves. Changed both and still have some softness in the brake pedal. There is not any visible fluid leaking out of the master cylinder, I have traced the lines and do not see any static leaks. I have a new master cylinder that I plan on putting on next weekend. Either way the vehicle drives better and I appreciate the suggestions.

Did you bleed the brakes after changing the pads and rotors?

Start stretching. You're about to become a contortionist.

Back