• Register Today It's free!

Brake Pad Selection

jpserra

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I was told by Ford that ceramic brakes were not recommended by the MFG. I am looking at the Hawk Performance pads and wondered which most owners are using.

If they are ceramic...

- Do they squeak or chatter?
- How long (average) do they last?

Thanks,

JP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These vehicles use a ceramic compound pad from the factory. And, because of such, the brakes are terrible right from the factory.

Hawk pads are decent, but I've had just as good of results with the Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads available at AutoZone. They actually seem to be getting better with time...When I first installed them, they took forever and a day to finally break in, but now that they've got some miles on them, they're fantastic. Never heard a squeal out of them, very little dust...even less than the OEM ceramics, and excellent pedal feel and stopping power.
I've got probably around 20,000 miles on my Performance Frictions now, and they're still as thick as the day I installed them. I did all 4 corners with new Brembo (stock replacement) rotors, and Performance Friction pads all at once. As far as I see it, it'll probably be the only set of rotors and pads I'll ever need, based on how everything is wearing now.

I've tried Hawk HPS pads on my Grand Prix, and they weren't bad, but produced a few squeaks and squeals, along with substantially more black brake dust. I tried just about every pad known to man on that car, and finally determined that the Performance Frictions were the best overall. That car would crack the rotors with ceramic pads, not to mention having a terrible feeling pedal and longer stopping distances...It always gave the feeling of the brakes being wet, even when they weren't.

Under no circumstances would I buy a ceramic pad for these vehicles.

Powerslot rotors with Hawk pads. Nice upgrade from stock and inexpensive.

I have Pro Stop Ceramic pads front and back. They were pretty cheap from PepBoys

I have them on my slotted and drilled rotors from the guys at r1concepts.

No noise at all and braking is excellent. They are consistent in very wet or dry weather.

I have had them for about 7 months now.

Remember to follow the "breaking in" instructions for the brake pads. I Did exactly what was requested by ProStop in a huge parking lot.
I think that is were some people go wrong and end up with squeaky brakes and poor stopping. I probably followed the stop and go regiment for at least 30 minutes (late at night in BJ's parking lot) before I felt the pads were ready for regular driving.

I just recently picked up adaptive-one pads at napa and they seem to be working great so far (about 60miles so far). Much better stopping power, no squeaks. $67 for 4 front pads.

I am with cornburner. I loved my Friction Masters from autozone. I think I put about 60000 on them before I sold it. Breaking while towing ang driving in the mountains was no issue. I am going to put them on both my autos soon.

Powerslot rotors with Hawk pads. Nice upgrade from stock and inexpensive.

I second that combo.

Its the best I have ever used. I will use Hawk ceramic pads until something better is available ( if ever ).

Great. Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate your input. As usual, the stealership is full of it. Hawks it is.

JP

Back