Brake pads for 2016 explorer - ceramic or semi metallic? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake pads for 2016 explorer - ceramic or semi metallic?

And/or by excessive sensitivity. Which, come to think of it, can also be applied to hundreds of posts on this forum.
No need to be sensitive about it, my comment was not meant to be a dig, and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I just don't see how correcting grammar is helping answer any of the OP's questions, the hijack has just probably pushed them away from asking any more 'silly' questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That can be applied to hundreds of posts on this forum, and I still don't see how someone should be told their question is silly.

OP has some valid questions, and this thread is getting derailed quickly with grammar corrections and notions that questions asked are just 'silly'.

My personal experience is that quality ceramic pads have no problem activating the ABS in a panic stop at 65 MPH with 32" tires (I drive the I-95 corridor in CT daily).
Spelling and grammar aside, I never said the question or the OP was silly. I said discussion of highly subjective topics is the silly part as it typically revolves around feelings and thoughts and provides little to no empirical data/evidence to back anything up.

Your comments illustrate that perfectly:

To me, ceramic pads with heavy cross drilled and slotted rotors works very good for my application and needs.

My personal experience is that quality ceramic pads have no problem activating the ABS in a panic stop at 65 MPH with 32" tires (I drive the I-95 corridor in CT daily).

What does that even mean for the OP? The factory pads should have no problem activating the ABS in a panic stop. What does driving the 1-95 corridor in CT have to do with anything? What about someone that drives the 101 or the 10 or the whatever? What about the guy shilling the Wagner OEX brakes? He drives on one of the steepest roads in the US all winter long.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to illustrate how "silly" the discussion can be about a topic like this...

Spelling and grammar aside, I never said the question or the OP was silly. I said discussion of highly subjective topics is the silly part as it typically revolves around feelings and thoughts and provides little to no empirical data/evidence to back anything up.

Your comments illustrate that perfectly:

To me, ceramic pads with heavy cross drilled and slotted rotors works very good for my application and needs.

What does that even mean for the OP? The factory pads should have no problem activating the ABS in a panic stop. What does driving the 1-95 corridor in CT have to do with anything? What about someone that drives the 101 or the 10 or the whatever? What about the guy shilling the Wagner OEX brakes? He drives on one of the steepest roads in the US all winter long.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to illustrate how "silly" the discussion can be about a topic like this...

I never said that you did.....
IMO this whole discussion about which pad to use is kind of silly.

I never shot down the factory pads, or tried to steer anyone away from semi-metallic pads..... I was simply trying to share my experiences with ceramic brake pads

The OP was concerned about a loss of performance with ceramic, I simply stated that I have no problem stopping hard enough to activate the ABS using ceramic pads. Maybe the ABS would activate faster with semi-metallic, but once the ABS is running the show, how much will the brake pad material really matter? The I-95 corridor in southern CT is known for it's bumper to bumper, 60MPH to zero traffic, with many instances of being cut-off by people that think it's a slalom course, and part of my personal experience with ceramic pads.
If I go with ceramic (and originals were semi-metallic) will that change any computer settings, or will I notice any change in performance, stopping distance, etc?.

I thought that Bigdude2468's share of his experience with the OEX brakes on some nasty hills was a great contribution to the discussion (like my experience driving on I-95), well at least I thought is was a discussion before it turned into a bona-fide technical experiment.

No worries, I'll stay out of this thread, seems like the priority is to argue rather than discuss the OP's questions.

Here some oil for the fire...:popcorn:
In emergency situation, brakes are among the last thing you want to lock and sometime even touch...

But may I suggest simply dropping personal experience / "preference" and avoid poking each other about validity of it or counter expertise? (as I almost done, regarding emergency brake)
'coz as read so far, we are all having different braking habit and have preference for some reason or another. Unless you track test multiple in a control fashion most will stick to what they think suits best (me first).
@ThorChristian I think I have similar usage as you, I'm going with Power Stop Ceramic as the price seems good and works as expected on previous installation, no clue on what is on currently (bought second hand!)

Both are good product, they will get the job done and that is why both are available! So I'd say pick either.
As everything, price ain't always a warranty of quality
Let hug each other, release the brake and step on the gas pedal:burnout:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the spirited discussion. I guess I should have chimed in earlier, but I was enjoying the back and forth. A few items:

1) I am not concerned about price. I want the best stopping pad, and based in what I have read here, semi-metallic is going to be my best bet.
2) the rotors are ok. I just had the car inspected, and the rotors are fine. The pads were a bit lower than I expected on the rear, which seems to be a common problem that I was previously unaware of. The inside pads were lower than the outside pads (outside messing the pad I can see by looking through the wheel without taking the wheel off.)
3) is the sticking caliper a common problem and easy to fix? Would it be covered under warranty, or does Ford ignore this one?

Can anyone provide me a link to the Wagner OEX pads on rock auto that have been discussed? I looked and had no luck, which means I either looked for the wrong name, or put in the wrong vehicle info. I did that twice, and came up with some Wagner pads, but nothing called OEX.

Thanks all!
IMO this whole discussion about which pad to use is kind of silly. Buy goods ones they don't cost much more and are clearly superior. On Rock Auto Wagner OEX pads are $28.79, front or rear. The cheapy or economy pads that Rock Auto sells are $15. Why would you go through a brake job that takes a couple of hours and then try to save a few pennies?? We drive on one of the steepest roads in the US all winter long where heat is a killer on pads and rotors. The Wagner OEX pads I installed look great after 30,000 miles, I bet I get 60,000 out of them. They stop shorter, generate less heat and I see very little brake dust. Far less dust then the OEM Ford pads. Also, I always spend more money for rotors and do not buy the junky Chinese rotors. With rotors mass / weight is everything. When the rotor weigh less it can't absorb as much heat before it starts to warp. The heavier the rotor the better.

Hey everyone,
Can anyone provide me a link to the Wagner OEX pads on rock auto that have been discussed? I looked and had no luck, which means I either looked for the wrong name, or put in the wrong vehicle info. I did that twice, and came up with some Wagner pads, but nothing called OEX.

Thanks all!

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Ceram...argid=aud-465585855334:pla-569123902480&psc=1

Never tried something like the above link to an Amazon page on this web site. It may not work.

I double checked Rock Auto and they are there for $29.00. I have a 2014, searched Ford, 2014, Explorer, NA 3.5 liter. Rock Auto lists brake pads in four separate groupings. Economy, Daily Driver, Heavy Duty and Performance, Wagner OEX are in the Performance listing.

Wagner actually claims to make a superior pad - Wagner severe duty - "exclusively engineered for vehicles driven in extreme environments". "Formulated for extreme heat, frequent stopping and heavy loads, these brake pads feature exceptional pad strength and longer pad life."

If you believe Wagners marketing materials about their oex pads, how can you not believe their marketing materials for their severe duty pads? Plus, they are more expensive than the oex, so they must be better, because more money always means more better.

https://fme-cat.com/livedocs/Wagner SD PPV Brochure 6.22.17.pdf

Please note, wagner only lists severe duty pads for retail explorers RR, so I'm not sure if the ones they list for the piu hd brakes FR will work on the retail hd brakes FR or not.

I found Wagner SX1377 rear pads for $29.79, but these are in the heavy duty category. However, there is no front pads made by Wagner in the heavy duty category. I'm going to replace all 4, and I like to have them match all around.

I'll keep looking. Thanks for the links everyone.

Also I am not seeing Wagner OEX anywhere on rock auto for a 2016 3.5L v6
Fronts show as oex1611b on Wagner website. Rockauto site has some quirks. Sometimes parts don't show up under the vehicle application, but if you search for them by part number, they are available on the site. Good luck.

Fronts show as oex1611b on Wagner website. Rockauto site has some quirks. Sometimes parts don't show up under the vehicle application, but if you search for them by part number, they are available on the site. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip, KayGee. I found the OEX under the 2014 explorer, but not the 2016. I thought that was odd.

On the Wagner site, there's a OEX1508 (w/o heavy duty brakes) and a OEX1611 (with heavy duty brakes) listed. I've never seen our brakes listed like that. The pads look quite a bit different from each other.

Back