• Register Today It's free!

Brake pedal feel?

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Tonight, I changed my brake master cylinder with new, not rebuilt. I also changed the flexible lines. The pads and shoes were changed just a couple of months ago.
I bench bled the master cylinder, and I know there is no at bubbles in the lines at all. Still the pedal feel is total crap. It goes nearly to the floor with ease. It stops the same as before the new stuff. No improvement at all.
What do I need to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well here goes.. I would check the following:
Bleed System, Check rear shoe adjustment, check rear wheel cylinders, RABS valve. Power booster rod adjustment may have a role in this as well.....;)

I should have mentioned, I replace the wheel cylinders when i changed the rear brakes. ONe because the nipple broke, the other so it would be even.What is a RABS valve? I didn't even know you could adjust the power booster. I"l have to look in the manual.
Thanks for your help

What/how did you bleed the brakes?

Run a tube from the Bleeder Valve into a jar with a little brake fluid in it. With that tube sitting in the Fluid Have someone watch for bubble in the jar as you pump the brakes. Whn the bubbles stop, tighten the bleeder

Do that to all four corners.

How did you Bench bleed? Install Master cylinder to firewall. Run Bleeder hoses from Master up and into reservoir. Fill reservoir, pump pedal until bibbles are gone. Top offl Master with Brake fluid. Hold Pedal down as Brake lines are secured to it Master

What/how did you bleed the brakes?

Run a tube from the Bleeder Valve into a jar with a little brake fluid in it. With that tube sitting in the Fluid Have someone watch for bubble in the jar as you pump the brakes. Whn the bubbles stop, tighten the bleeder

Do that to all four corners.

Thats the first thing I thought of too..Tony beat me to it!

No more help? Darn.
I guess the only thing left to do is change the calipers. Those and the hard lines are the only thing not replaced.
Unless some one has a better idea...

Are the Calipers Leaking or Frozen??

If not, the problem isn't in the calipers.

What made you replace the Master to begin with?

Back